Does a 98 civic's speed sensor control the odometer?

i’m researching a 98 civic dx coupe. the odometer reads 93,000 miles and i don’t trust it because the speed sensor gets stuck at 20 when i test drove it. Just wondering if i’m right to be concerned. do these parts work off of eachother and could this reflect the miraculous mileage?

Mr. Obvious, Here.
When The Speedometer Sticks At 20 MPH And You Continue Driving At A Rate Higher Than That, What Happens To The Odometer ? Does It Keep Recording Mileage ?

In other words, does the odometer work at low speeds and does it continue working a high speeds, too ?

CSA

I don’t think the OP has the car to experiment with, based on what he says about researching it.

“I don’t think the OP has the car to experiment with, based on what he says about researching it.”

" i’m researching a 98 civic dx coupe. the odometer reads 93,000 miles and i don’t trust it because the speed sensor gets stuck at 20 [ when i test drove it. ] "

CSA

The issue could be with the speedometer itself, rather than the speed sensor, but if you test drive it again, watch the odometer, especially if you go on the highway. My car’s speedometer reads about 4 mph fast, but the odometer is accurate (checked over a long trip)

The Vehicle Speed Sensor sends a signal to the driver circuit on the instrument cluster for the speedometer. So if the speedometer isn’t functioning correctly the odometer isn’t functioning correctly.

Tester

To reinforce what Tester said, recently a friend’s 1997 4 cylinder Accord’s speedometer and odometer both quit working completely. Both came back to life after I replaced the VSS.