CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Dodge Ram Van Fuel System Issue

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van. Engine stopped, fuel gauge indicated no gas (moments ago indicated 1/2 tank). Engine cranked but would not start. After sitting 30 mins and being towed home it still would not start. I pulled the fuel system fuse - it was good so I put it back in, tried starting and it worked. Fuel gauge was reading as well. Is there a relay that I reset when I pulled the fuse, or could my fuel pump be on the way out?

It sounds like the whole fuel sending unit in the tank had its power interrupted. It’s probably a good idea to inspect the wiring and the harness back near the tank, make sure nothing’s exposed or real dirty.

Thank you. I went out and checked the wiring after getting your tip. Wiring is good as far as I could see, I could not get to the wiring above the tank (plastic tank) at the pump location. I swapped relays around but all systems are working so the relays should be fine. I am assuming now that the pump is causing the issue. Why it is itermittent leads me to agree with the wiring theory. Since I have to drop the tank to change the pump I will be able to check the wiring I could not reach. THANKS!!