Dodge Ram 1500 Odometer Goes Backwards

2019 Dodge Ram 1500.

I would not believe this however I have seen it with my own two eyes. A friend’s dad has a Ram, it has a digital odometer with the monochrome screen, a lower trim level.

Has 78k on it. The mileage was 78,888.9 then it went back to 78,888.1 when it was supposed to go to 78,889.0

The vehicle is doing this sporadically at different mileage reading. I cant believe we can not make an odometer that works reliably now!

Lots of information online as to the cause and solution to this. Sounds like the ECM will have the correct mileage in it.

I want to play around with it more to see what is happening and if the mileage corrects itself when restarting the vehicle.

I will look at it more tomorrow and try to see what is really going on.

I can’t believe they are getting away with this!

You know Ram trucks have more than their fair share of electrical problems, right?

They tend to be infected with a bad case of the FIATs…

Oh yes, it doesn’t suprise me. I just cant believe that the government lets them get away with an odometer having issues.

I will be honest, when the claim was made I didn’t believe it. I seen it multiple times so it was a correct complaint.

Many issues have been had with this particular truck. I also alerted him to a probable exhaust manifold leak.

So did the odometer on that truck’s great-grandmother …

!

Getting away with this ??? A part that malfunctions is not a corporate conspiracy .

+1

The only chance for a recall would be if enough owners post complaints with NHTSA. Then, an investigation might result, and… eventually… a recall might take place. It’s extremely unlikely that Stellantis would do anything unless it was mandated.

On a 7 year old vehicle, I would buy a new or remanufactured instrument cluster. On something 10+ years old, I would get a used one from a junkyard, with “close enough” miles on it.

The problem isn’t with the instrument cluster.

The problem is with the ECU that gets the signal from the VSS and turns it into the signal for the digital odometer.

Tester

Let these guys know about this:

Nothing to get away with. Im sure they would just say the real number is in the computer and the display is only a display. At any rate i read the story of chrysler and all they have been through and this would be the least of their worries before they close the doors for good.

Im trying to remember but i believe it was when my Riviera turned over to 500,000.0. It was about two in the morning so i pulled over and took a picture of it for posterity. It was on an old phone that i dont have anymore and the IT guys were never able to get it to print out. Maybe i5 was a company phone that i had to turn in, i dunno, but i dont have it, only in my mind of where i was and when. It didnt show it was two in the morning instead of afternoon so i know i showed it to a few people who were not impressed. My wife was on a trip or something so didnt have to admit why i was out that late. Once in a lifetime, but dontb
Tell me about old cars.