Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager A604 transmission troubleshooting

I recently helped a friend of mine R&R a rebuilt A604 automatic transmission in a Plymouth Voyager. The tranny was professionally rebuilt by Phoenix Transmissions. The torque converter was also purchased from Phoenix. Speed sensors were also replaced. After installation, he drove the van to a nearby transmission shop to have it hooked up to the computer and reset/scanned for error codes. Everything was fine…but soon thereafter the tranny started slipping out of gear. Everything was checked and double checked (fluid level, electrical connections, bolts, etc, etc…We cannot figure out what the problem is…Any suggestions? We are hoping that it is something that is relatively simple 'cause we do not want to take the tranny out again, etc.

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Tampa, FL

A little more info would help. Under what conditions does it slip out of gear? Hot, cold, both? When shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.
Also what type of fluid did you use? Anything besides ATF +4 can cause shifting problems.
~Michael

My friend told me that it slips out of gear after it is warmed up, but only after a short period of time. We used ATF +4, and made sure that the level was correct. I think that he said that it happens in all gears, but since it has had the problem, he does not drive it much, and of course, does not go fast if he does drive it anywhere…So, it does slip in low gears and at low speeds, but anything is possible at highway speeds as well.

Jason

This may sound silly but did you check the fluid with the engine running warm in park?
~Michael

Yep, we did that, and it is at the proper level.

If its slipping out of gear (neutraling), this is not a good sign. What did the transmission shop say about the neutraling?? Sorry to say but Phoenix has a HORRIBLE reputation. If the trans shop recommends returning it, I would just get my money back and go elsewhere. Get a Chrysler reman… They have a 3/36 warranty and have all the latest updates. Has your friend sent his core to Phoenix yet???

transman

I figured that if it is slipping out of gear that that is bad news, but we are hoping that there might be something else that we might have overlooked…My friend (Patrick) shopped around, and dealt with Phoenix. The van has not been back to the trans shop, but I told my friend that he should bring it back there and have them check it out. It can’t cost too much money. Wow, their reputation is really that bad? Yikes! The tranny is still in the car, fully assembled, etc…Oh brother, it will be a hassle taking that thing out again.

Ugh.

Thank for the input…

Jason

My friend and I DID NOT put trans fluid in the torque converter prior to installation… after installation of the tranny, we put the fluid in the trans…should we have poured fluid into the torque converter prior to installation? If so, did we destroy the torque converter?

No you didn’t destroy the TC. The transmission pump will fill the TC after the engine starts. If the TC is not full of fluid you will get no drive at all. The only problem with not filling the TC is that the pan will probably be sucked dry on the first start up trying to fill the TC. You just have to keep filling the pan until the level stabilizes.

You don’t mention doing anything with the solenoid valves. The problem could reside there. But, get the computer to tell you what it is finding by scanning it. You can guess all over the place but the computer may already have the answer.

Aren’t the solenoid valves inside the transmission. I am under the impression that the whole unit was rebuilt, solenoid valves and all…but I passed your message onto my friend…he is going to check the fluid level, and make sure that it is right…and bring it to the tranny shop to be scanned with the computer after that.

I’ll keep you posted.

Jason
Tampa, FL

The fluid level must be checked with the engine running, transmission warm (drive a few miles before checking fluid level), vehicle on a level surface and the transmission in NEUTRAL, not park (this is true for Chrysler transmissions).

baymvay: I don’t hear anything about whether you flushed the trans cooler out. What was up w/the old trans? If its clutches were destroyed/ground up, pieces of them may have ended up in cooler and gotten into new trans. Though many times I haven’t flushed the cooler during a transmission R&R and have gotten away w/it, one time I R&R’d a 604, didn’t flush cooler, and ruined trans. Poss.

silver lining: if this outfit is that bad, maybe you got a bad trans. I agree w/transman- get your $ back and go Chrysler if you can afford it. If phoenix balks @ reimbursement, you should try to persuade them anyway, if NG, say “Is that your final position?” If still NG, threaten to sue even if you’re not gonna, telling them your time is legitamitely LABOR (labor = $). Another silver lining-

R&R should be easier 2nd time around. If you’re doing this in your driveway/garage, may be tough to flush cooler w/o compressed air and brake clean (not reccomended, but 10 times better than not flushing). Maybe take cooler to wherever you’re gonna buy next trans and ask them to flush it. How expensive could it be? baymvay- Good luck and DON’T FORGET TO FLUSH COOLER! KS

These transmissions are known for their converters coming apart and stopping up the cooler and its impossible to get all the converter trash out of it. Ive seen them get so hot from a stopped up cooler that the planetary gearset actually melts.

transman