Disposal of old gasoline

I have 12 gallons of really old outboard gasoline – mixed with oil. Can I burn it in my car if I dilute it with fresh gasoline? What dilution rate is appropriate?

How old?? If it smells like old varnish, DO NOT put it in your car…Pour a small sample into a glass container and look closely at it. Most OB oil has dye in it and that’s the color the fuel should be. If the color and smell are not right, it can’t be used as motor fuel.

If it’s less than 2 years old, it’s probably OK to burn it in your car or truck at the rate of about 1 gallon of mixed fuel per tankful.

If it’s too nasty to use as fuel, disposing of it properly can be a real problem and very expensive.

As long as you don’t put much in at a time, it should be fine. I would suggest a quart every fill up or if it is less that three years old maybe two quarts at a time. Don’t try to put it all in at once unless it is like a year old.

It is at least 15 years old. I don’t recall that OB motor oil had any distinctive color as 2 cycle oil has now. I will see if our county has a hazaedous waste disposal scheduled for the future.

Take it to the dump and put it with the hazardous waste. They’ll burn it in an incinerator. If you don’t know where to take it, call your local city or county waste people. They’ll be glad to help you.