Dilemma

In Minnesota we pay (I believe) 1.25% of the value every year for license tabs. So a $40,000 car will cost $500. The governor wanted it increased to around $700 plus a gas tax increase to help pay for roads. But because 40% of the plate fees go for trains and buses, the GOP balked and it never went through. Now the gov and the train folks are pouting and calling names. Its in the constitution thanks to AAA that gas tax has to go for roads and bridges, which is OK for me but license tabs are already out of sight in my view. I think South Dakota is somewhere around $50 and no income tax, and they have more pheasants but we have more lakes. Sales tax on vehicles is somewhere around 7.5%.

Get a steel roof ,because of the industrys(auto ) reduction in the use of heavy steel ,perhaps the cost will come down ,asphalt roofs have become ridiculous in the past years because of the automotive sectors increase in the consumption of oil products .(there kept it tool time and auto related)

Ok…another question. If selling privately, what would be a reasonable price to ask for the volvo? 2003 XC90; 118,000; original owner; one driver; non-smoker; excellent condition interior and exterior, with the exception of some staining of the driver’s seat; no accidents; new battery; practically new michelin tires; new headliner; a/c compressor replaced 2015; new timing belt 2013; new brake pad 2015; all original mats, tools, leather seats, roof rack, etc., etc., Car has been garaged throughout its life and has never seen snow. Attached (hopefully) is the original sticker.

To find out values of your vehicles go to the Kelly Blue Book web site. Any guesses from here will be just that. Guesses.
You might reduce the values by 20% because dealers use Black Book and it is always lower.

Hi VolvoV70… yes…I did that and figured I would price mine in the middle of the range they provided. When we were selling my brother’s car after he passed, prospective buyers were quick to dismiss the validity of KBB…nonetheless, I maintained my position and eventually sold the car for what I was asking… I’m wondering how much more leverage my volvo gets, if any, because of the recent improvements…

gallant: I’m an Oregon native (vintage 1952) but lived in San Gabriel, CA from Jan 1974-Nov 1976 when I returned home. I tried to register my 12 year old car in CA and no one would smog test it unless it was returned to 100% original. I just renewed my Oregon registration ($20 for 2 years). I was pulled over one time and given a warning for marginally loud exhaust. The officer said nothing about my CA driver license and Oregon registration.

Other than kbb.con and edmunds.com you should also look on autotrader, cargurus and craigslist and see how much other people are asking for a similar car and rest assured that most of them are in worse condition than yours. Now people are going to show up and low ball your price. I always calmly remind them that the same car is going for XX amount over my asking price, so either take it or walk.

I have had good luck selling on craigslist, just take a lot of good pics and give an honest explanation. Make it clear you would not respond to e-mails and anybody who is interested should call. I screen my buyers and if I don’t like the tone of their voice, I pass.

I’m not sure if I consider Kelley’s blue book to be very useful

Seems maybe edmunds is a little more realistic

But that’s just my opinion

I don’t want to overstay my welcome here, so thank you all for your advice, suggestions, and guidance! I feel better prepared to move forward, and now I know where I can go for a rescue in the future. Thank you…it’s been a pleasure!