Diesel Engine LIFE Cycles

Why do Diesel Engines last longer between overhauls?

Well they operate at much lower rpm’s than an equivalent gas engine for one. Then there’s the diesel fuel itself which lubricates better than gasoline. There’s lots of reasons but those are two simple and major ones.

A. Because the Diesel Fuel helps to keep the rings lubricated, better?
B. Because light weight oils lubricate better than heavy weight oils? (i.e. 10W40)
C. Because vegetable oil, like diesel oil, will make engines last longer, too?
D. Because Diesels were designed to run on Peanut Oil?
E. None of the above.

Another reason is that, due to how diesel engines operate, they are constructed much more durably than their gas counterparts. The forces generated by the compression ignition of a diesel’s operation are much higher than that of gas engines, and so the engine block, the crankshaft, pistons, bearings, rods, etc. all have to be manufactured to tolerate those forces. Thus you naturally have an engine that is more durable (and a whole lot heavier) than a comparably sized gasoline engine.

This applies mainly to large truck Diesels. Automotive Diesels aren’t quite as robust, although most modern ones will outlast their gasoline cousins.

Why are you limiting it to only those responses.

It is a conspiracy perpetrated by The Man! I figured that is the only explanation you would accept.

Diesels were designed to run on peanut oil? Really? I’m gonna go buy stock in Jimmy Carter’s farm cooperative!!!

Actually, Rudolph Diesel designed his first diesel engine to run on Coal dust!
But, it blew-up and almost killed him; so, he changed his fuel calculations.
Sugar dust, Flour dust, etc. have been known to explode and destroy entire factories.
So, why are dumb Americans so Gung-Ho about oil!

If America need more oil, look near the mouth of the Amazon, since oil floats on water and is always found near the mouth of any large river! The Amazon Delta is unexplored! And, the San Francisco Bay, and the Sea of Cortez!

It may be a conspiracy to keep the reasons secret!
But, eventually, Mazda will develop a rotary diesel to make their seals last longer, and it should be more efficient!

NOT LIMITED! Just trying to test your engineering knowledge.

Actually, most design engineers know how long their parts will last,
and some are intentionally designed to wear-out in about 1000 hours,
which at 60 mph is about 60,000 miles.

So throw your car away, if its starts breaking-down!

I can’t quite believe this thread. I need to get my meds checked.

Please tell us what qualifies YOU to test anyone’s engineering knowlege!

Shakespirit should team up with a cartoon artist and I will personally recommend them for a comic strip in the New York Times!

I’m from a different planet!
But, try to keep it secret!

Is that an Non-Intelectual Insult or a Compliment?

How would you like to move your mountainbike with a one horsepower electric motor mounted on the front wheel, and rest awhile?

Anti-gravity is an electrical charge, like water vapor rises, although it is heavier than air!

I DEFINITELY need to get my meds checked!

Is some psychiatrist out there sending the crazies to this site for part of their therapy homework? I don’t get it.