Did giving a friend a jump fry my volvo's regulator?

"if you give someone a jump in the future make sure to keep your engine revved to about 1500rpm to maximize your alternators output."

Wrong.

That’s exactly what you want to avoid. By maximizing your alternator’s output you are putting an extraordinary load on both your alternator and your voltage regulator. You want, rather, to MINIMIZE the load on your alternator, to keep from overloading anything. Let the donor car idle for a while. Use more time to charge slowly, rather than more engine speed to charge quickly.

Ive always heard that you arent suppose to connect the ground jumper cable to
the ground terminal on the battery,I`m not sure why,

The last (4th) cable to be connected will produce a small spark. If that spark occurs near the top of the battery, as @Howie32703 noted, your battery can explode. I had one explode on me once - producing a loud explosion and a geyser of acid shot at my face. I’m lucky it didn’t blind me.

I agree with insightful about charging the battery for 10 miniutes. I have some more advice. NEVER give someone a jump start whose car died while driving it. That means he has a serious electrical problem and jump staring it won’t help. Give someone a jump start ONLY if he shuts off the ignition and can’t re-crank it in his own driveway or a regular parking space.

I disagree

If the car dies while driving, it means the battery is totally flat for whatever reason (bad battery or charging system). Asking another battery and alternator to reasonably charge up that battery is asking a lot.

I can’t believe we are continuing to have this conversation. If someone has a dead battery, a) call a tow truck b) take the battery out and have it tested and either charge it or replace it, or c) If the battery checks out, have the alternator repaired and the battery recharged with a battery charger, not another battery. This is pretty basic stuff. Even at -20 batteries can be taken out and recharged as I have discovered.