Dexron III + Friction Modifier = T-IV Transmission fluid?

The trick to having a car last forever is not only to fix things that aren’t running right at the moment, but also to be sure the fluids (and other servicable parts like filters) are correct and in good shape. It’s that “long term” thing that people are concerned about. It’s good that it’s shiftong beautifully right now, but you improve your odds of having it still shift properly 100,000 miles from now if you ensure that the fluid is correct.

As I said before, your money, your risk. I might not make the same deciusion you did, but I’ll foght for your right to make yours.

Sincere best.

Your motor will run great if you never change its oil… until it does not, then its to late.

maybe the stuff they put in is close enough to the real thing?

You want to take a chance on a $4,000 item that what they did MIGHT be right??

I surely wouldn’t.

The point you’re missing is…just because there isn’t a problem now doesn’t mean there won’t be one in the future. It may take time for the damage to occur. It’s NOT going to happen over night.

im taking a chance for lack of evidence its doing any harm to the transmission. at first sign of trouble i will flush it out…

It’s a big mistake because how the ‘car is running’ has nothing to do with whether or not your are damaging your transmission. It will be ‘running fine’ up to the day it FAILS. But 20 people have advised you (urgently in some cases) to get the correct fluid in there, and you don’t care. Fine. I’m done.

You’re more of a gambler than I am.

I can’t go by what the fluid might do to the transmission in the future… all I know is it’s working fine right now, so why fix it if it aint broke?

maybe the fluid in there wasn’t correct to start with? maybe next year I want a new car? I can’t tell with will happen in the future, so I’m not going to worry about it.

Agree with everyone.
Oil changes maybe (not) either…but transmission maintenance work should always be done by the dealer or an independent with enough experience to use recomended service fluids for your car…not these guys. Save Money by replacing your cabin or air filter or bulbs by yourself. Don’t try to save money with transmisionn service, especially on a new (somewhat) car. You could invalidate the warrenty you may still have. This is one of the few times I would get an independent you can trust to replace the fluid with recommended fluid and not a dealer, for now, under the dark of night where no one knows the difference…and we won’t tell, promise.

michaelscai wrote:
im taking a chance for lack of evidence its doing any harm to the transmission. at first sign of trouble i will flush it out…

You’re really not understanding this. At the first sign of trouble, there will already have been damage that changing the fluid will not fix. Transmissions are not cheap to repair or replace.

Good luck.

at first sign of trouble i will flush it out..

At first sign…IT’S TOO LATE.

By the time symptoms start showing up …it means the damage has already been done.

You don’t want to take the advice of several people here who have years and years as master mechanics (I’m NOT one of them). Go ahead. They’ve seen this kind of problem before in the past. Some have rebuilt these transmissions when the wrong fluid was used. I know very little about the workings of a automatic tranny…so I take the mechanical advice of these people (like OK4450). They don’t come here giving bad advice and try to screw people who ask questions.

I suggest you listen to them. You always want to use the right fluid…that includes oil, tranny, brake, 4wd transfer-case, power-steering fluid…etc.

The other part of the equation is Jiffy Lube. My daughter was friends with the kid who now runs the local Jiffy Lube when they were in high-school. If he’s the BEST they got there…I wouldn’t let them put air in my tires.

did you ever have oil changed at this place or a similar place? did they use “mazda” labled oil? maybe they used generic oil? perhaps you should dispute that charge for an improper oil change with your credit co? they deceived you. did not use mazda oil.

why are you so upset I try to get a refund Stoveguyy? It doesn’t come out of your pocket if my cc co give me a refund. If they don’t then I’m content.

So sounds like you guys don’t care for the opinion from Bob the oil guy…

I went back and read the posts in the “Bob the oil guy” that responded to your question. The replies are not from Bob the Oil Guy. The replies are from the same kind of people on this forum. They have no more, or less, expertise than those posting here. None of those posters said what you got from the quick change place was legitimate spec fluid for your car. They said if it works it might not hurt anything and not to leave it in the trans more than 30K miles. I didn’t read a wholehearted endorsement of the generic fluid plus an additive from anyone on the Bob the Oil guy site.

You get to believe who you want, and do what you want, it is your transmission and your money.

It’s no skin off my nose (as they say) if you want to take risks based on some questionable advice from a web site versus what’s detailed in your owner’s manual. Or to assume you’ll be able to detect any compromise to the integrity of your transmission from the driver’s seat. Frankly, I cannot see why people persist in trying to convince you otherwise.

However, when you try to stop payment for a service rendered, but have not altered in any way the products or services in use and continue to use the product provided, you should not be entitled to a refund of any monies paid.

If you ordered a hamburger thinking it was ground round but got served a regular hamburger and knowingly consumed it anyway, would you think you were entitled to not pay ANYTHING for that hamburger? I didn’t think so. What you say you are going to do DOES impact everyone else as those costs of doing business are passed on to everyone else. The money for bad debts does not fall from the sky.

Now if you really felt they owed you anything, you’d change out the fluid and then go after them for the extra monies outlaid to be made whole. Right now, you’re trying to put yourself into a betterment position and that’s not legally or IMO, morally, acceptable.

If your transmission decides to start showing some symptoms 6 months, a year, or 2 years from now and the diagnosis is a pricy transmission rebuild I wonder if the current contentment will remain.

As an analogy, this strikes me as someone who may have a heart issue but chooses to ignore doing anything about it until a stroke occurs.

I’m in total agreement with TwinTurbo’s comments about the way this is being handled monetarily.

You are damn right I’m not paying for the hamburger I didn’t order.

You all saying I should flush out the oil asap, so obviously the shop did me wrong. So why should I pay for fluid that should be discarded. something doesn’t add up.

If I want oil change, and they put cooking oil in it, should I pay for the cooking oil? I think not.

But you ate the hamburger!! You seem to be missing the fundamental point.
You say you are going to continue using the product you want a refund on.
Either you swap it out and then get compensated for the original cost or you keep using it (and paying for it). You can’t have both.

Where did I say I ate it? I didn’t eat your imaginary hamburger, and even if I did and I liked it, I’m not paying for it, because it’s not the hamburger I ordered!!

What you saying make no sense, that’s like saying if someone wrecked your car, you have to get it fixed right away for the person who wreck your car to be at fault, or you must like having your car wrecked and enjoying driving around with it.

Look, you are highly unlikely to get a refund. Especially since the fact that you’re keeping the fluid in there suggests that you consider it acceptable, and there’s no evidence that it isn’.

To me, getting the fluid flushed out with the proper fluid is a very small price to pay to ensure that the fluid in it is, in fact, the correct stuff. And if you try for a refund you’ll at the very least have to flush it out to illustrate that you consider what they put in there to be unacceptable.

What others are saying is that you’re implying by leaving the fluid in that you consider it to be acceptable. Therefore, and considering that you have zero evidence to the contrary, you don;t deserve a refund. Our opinions are not evidence. They’re opinions only.

If I want oil change, and they put cooking oil in it, should I pay for the cooking oil? I think not.

So, would you leave the cooking oil in the engine or get it out ASAP?