Dexron III + Friction Modifier = T-IV Transmission fluid?

my understanding is for this particular car there is a filter in the transmission but is not servicable so it’s not replaced

Quick lube places do not stock all the unique fluids for all the cars on the market. Many years ago there were only a few different fluids. Today auto transmissions are getting much more sophisticated and some require special fluids. Too many different fluids for a quick lube shop so they use and stock only a few fluids. Their claim in this case that they have created the proper fluid by adding an additive package to generic fluid is untested, and bogus. I’m sure a warranty claim for a defective transmission would be void if this fluid is used in the transmission.

Don’t worry about recouping a few $$$ from the quick lube place. Your priority now is to protect your very expensive to replace transmission. Go the a Mazda dealership and explain you need all the current fluid replaced with the proper fluid. Get it done, pay the bill. Then take that bill to your quick oil change place and negotiate. Perhaps you can get 3-5 free oil changes. Then don’t fall victim to any other services.

It shifts fine right now, so I’m taking oil guy’s advice and just drive for a while… it can’t be that bad right, if most of the cars they did transmission flush would fail how can they stay in business?

I’m not going back to the quick lube place to argue with those greese monkeys, i will just dispute with my CC company for now.

If you already decided what you are going to do, why are you asking the question yet. You got the answers to get the stuff out to avoid a $3-4000 transmission bill. By the time you have an indication of a problem it will be too late. Also if you are going to contest the charge, the first question will be whether or not you went back to the fast and furious place for a remedy.

Check out this old thread about Iffy Lube abuse. http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2136790/my-iffy-lube-experience

You also state that they SAID they added the friction modifier. Can you truly trust that they did? I wouldn’t.

Brown transmission fluid means the transmission fluid is used up or oxidized. This is normal because no vehicle fluid lasts forever. This is the reason you change the engine oil. Because it gets used up or oxidized.

And as stated, the transmission has a filter. But in order to replace it the transmission has to be disassembled. And some transmissions don’t have filter at all. And most of all, some transmissions are SEALED. No pan. So, you have to stop thinking transmissions are the same from the 80’s/90’s.

Just bring the vehicle to a reputable shop and have them do a fluid exchange with the proper fluid.

Tester

All this just reinforces my biggest gripe about transmission fluids and the industry as a whole.

WHAT THE HECK IS THE BIG FREEKIN SECRET ??
What is the true differnce AND similarities between fluids ?
Why must they hide the fact that their fluid is really that fluid too ?

35 years as a parts man still leaves me furious at the industry .

Many years ago Ford got in legal trouble for attemting to say you must use their type H fluid, when in fact it was just Mercon. They had to update their terminology.

A few years back there were new cars on the lot with the wrong fluid in them. A recall was issued for us to put in a small bottle of…’‘something’’ ( again the stupid secret ), A 6fl oz bottle of red fluid that has a sufficient whitish residue in it need to be shaken well first. This was for the 5r55s and 5r44e transmissions.

And THAT is what leads me to believe the guy may very well be right about just adding something in to the other fluid.

( now that I have six bottles of this stuff left over, the ‘‘big secret’’ leaves us hanging. What is this stuff ? How could I use it in the future ? What was the wrong fluid ?

Remember when Dexron and Type F was about it and covered everything on the planet including the power steering? :slight_smile:

I think Ford even has about a dozen different engine coolants don’t they?

i agree with ken green these different fluids are unecessarily confusing and doesnt help the consumers

I agree it is confusing, but I think there are valid reasons for some of the different fluid needs. Auto transmissions are getting more complicated and more sophisticated all the time. More gears, different types of clutches etc. We have conventional automatics based on hydralics, we have CVT’s which change ratios using belts and/or chains on concentric cones, we have some clutchless manual/automatics coming from European car makers.

The different insides of the various transmissions require specific fluids to make them work and/or lubricate the moving parts. It won’t get better. Car makers now realize that there are mpg’s to be gained by improving transmissions and drive train components. There are 8 speed auto trannys now in a few cars and these could be very common in most cars in 10 years.

The explosion in ATF . oil, and coolant types drives me nuts. And here’s a new one-suspension grease. I didn’t realize Ford had a different spec until I went to buy a cartridge this week. Sheesh…

The shop changed ur fluid. How can u dispute that fact with credit card co? U agreed to pay shop for work. It’s not fraud. Ur trying to screw over shop and ur ok with driving car with current fluid? U must be happy with it?

@texases, don’t sweat it with the grease.

NLGI #2 grease is sufficient
Check in your owner’s manual. It may very well list NLGI #2 grease as being acceptable

The quick lube place doesn’t believe they did anything wrong. They carry only Dexron plus additive packs to adapt it to other cars. They will not give you your money back and if you sue them you would need expert testimony to stand a chance and you would only have damages to collect if your transmission was harmed. Believe the quicklube place and take your chances or believe the posters on here and have your fluid changed. It’s your car, your money, and your choice.

Trans fluid can/will make a big diff. Some cars are more tolerant then others to the wrong fluid. I know if a guy who made a living buying Chrysler minivans with “bad transmissions”. He would drain and fill with the right fluid and often save the trans and resell the van. A good 7 out of ten times this would work. Everyone of these vans had seen a quick lube or mechanics shop and had the wrong stuff installed.

Remember when Dexron and Type F was about it and covered everything on the planet including the power steering?

I even had Dexron in my GMC S-15 pickup with a Manual 5-speed. Not sure if GM still uses Dexron for their manuals anymore.

I drove 800 miles past weekend with the shop dexron brew, didn’t notice anything different. so I’m leaving em in there for now. I’m not happy with having the non-spec fluid, but I’m not worried or scared enough to want to flush it out right away. I’m disputing with CC company because the shop failed to put in factory spec fluid.

BIG MISTAKE

I’m disputing with CC company because the shop failed to put in factory spec fluid.

Did you read the fine print on your service slip - the one you signed before they worked on your car? They know how to protect themselves.

why is it a BIG MISTAKE? the car is running fine I can hardly tell it’s shifting at all. why should I run to get it flushed out again? maybe the stuff they put in is close enough to the real thing?

it doesn’t hurt to dispute, I tell my side of the story… they tell their side of the story. It’s up to the CC co to decide.