Dent in exhaust pipe

Hit some debris in the road while driving my 2020 Odyssey home from school drop off. Found these dents under the car when I got home. Safe to drive or do I need to head to a mechanic ASAP? My husband is traveling to a funeral today and I can’t get ahold of him today. ,

Looks OK, not a huge dent, no tears that would cause a leak. You should have it checked, probably at the dealer because it is still under warranty but it is safe to drive.

3 Likes

+1
However, we should be sure the OP understands that this type of damage is not covered by warranty.

6 Likes

Looks safe to drive, but I would have the car inspected for other damage that you may not be able to see. If there is any damage your full coverage insurance should help.

3 Likes

I’m not totally sure that is a new dent. Looks old to me.

1 Like

If it’s not too long until your next oil change, you could get the exhaust inspection and oil change at the same time.

1 Like

Looks like the catalytic converter was damaged also. But I don’t know if that would affect its performance.

1 Like

3 Likes

Agreed; looks like it’s not a new dent and the converter has also been whacked. The dent on the tailpipe could cause an exhaust restriction and it’s possible that the substrate in the converter could come apart and start rattling at some point; if not now in a subtle and maybe not noticeable to you manner.

This would not be a warranty repair at the dealer. You might check with your insurance carrier to see if it’s covered because out of pocket replacing all of that would be every expensive.

Cheapest out of pocket fix would be to have a muffler shop cut the dented section out and weld a new section of pipe in. Assuming the converter is ok.