Damaged exhaust 'A' pipe in 05 Odyssey

Mechanic recommends replacing because ‘exhaust fumes might get into the engine and cause damage.’ Asking 500+ for parts and labor. I drove the vehicle 1K miles after the damage, no problems. Should I replace this part? If so, is this a reasonable cost for the repain?

Is the pipe bent or dented to the point it is causing a restriction in the flow? Is there a crack or hole in the pipe where gases are leaking? If there is much of a restriction from being bent or flattened, then yes, I’d change the pipe. If there is a crack or hole in the pipe, then you might be able to get it welded by a competent welder for a lot less than $500… Without knowing the extent or type of damage, it is hard to determine the repair. Even after we know the damage, it is sometimes a judgement call by the mechanic. The dealer will replace the pipe regardless of anything. A competent shop might repair the damage without changing the pipe. If you have to get a State inspection anytime soon, that inspector looking at the damage will make his own judgement call, and fail or pass you based on how he/she feels about the damage.

These A pipes usually fail at the flex joint, which is a thin pleated (like an accordion) section. It can’t be welded. I think the price quoted to you is reasonable. Just the OEM part for my '88 Accord was over $500, so I got an aftermarket one for about half that.

I got under the car to see if find the damage. Of course, I don’t know what to look for. Where is this pipe in the system? Before or after the muffler? Is A pipe short for something, because googling A pipe hasn’t helped much either. Thanks!

I’ll go look for an accordion section. Any other helpful landmarks? Thanks!

I think the “A” pipe is the first one after the exhaust manifold. (I had a dented “B” pipe replaced on my Honda Civic. It made unpleasant vibrating sounds at certain RPMs, but did not leak. I had dented it bottoming out on a deeply rutted trail that your Odyssey would have been right at home on!)

I don’t think exhaust fumes getting into the engine and causing damage is likely, but if the pipe is leaking then fumes could get into the cabin and cause harm to those inside. One way to detect if the exhaust system is leaking is to have someone momentarily plug the exhaust pipe with a wadded up rag, while you listen at suspect locations for the puffing sounds of escaping exhaust gasses.

If if identified it correctly, the damaged portion is the wishbone/flexible part of the A pipe. There are a few (less than 10) fibers that have come loose, and very minor dents where the flexible portion unites with the inflexible pipes on either side. I don’t think it really needs to be replaced. I’ll have an exhaust shop check the system. Looks like the dealer was just looking for an easy buck.

Save your money…You might put a stainless hose clamp around the damaged “fibers” (wires) in the flex joint to prevent further unraveling of the wires…There will be several layers of wire…