Def'n of "Ball Joint"?

Anyone ever replace wrist pins and king pins on an old car? After a few you’ll appreciate ball joints regardless what the parts house called them. Those were the “good ole days” that are best forgotten.

King pins are still alive and well on large commercial trucks

C4500 and up, for example

But yes, they’ve not been used on CARS for some time now, so it’s no longer as common a repair as it once was, if you primarily work on cars and light trucks

Don’t all cars except rotaries and pure electrics still use wrist pins? By that I mean the pin that connects the piston to the connecting rod.

I can’t imagine any reciprocating ICE engine NOT using wrist pins. If anybody knows of one, I’d love to see how they managed to connect the rods with the pistons.

Ah, terminology…Honda calls is a piston pin:

LOL, so does Toyota!
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=488942&ukey_make=1060&ukey_model=15428&modelYear=2005&ukey_category=21646&ukey_driveLine=6685

when I call up my parts guy, he darn well better know what I want when I order a case of doohickies, and 2 thingamabobs.

That’s what he gets paid for…

:wink: :wink: :wink:
hahahahahahaha!!!

1 Like

Just today I saw an internet quiz the main question of which was “how much do you know about airplanes and flying?”. I clicked on it. It was full of questions like "what year was the Piper Cub first flown? What was the name of the pilot who flew the first jet? There wasn’t one technical question about aircraft or flying… well, in truth, after about a half-dozen “memory” questions I got disgusted and exited the test. A sixth grader could have aced the test with a bit of studying and not known or learned a single thing about aircraft or flying. One of the things I hated about school was that so much of it was simply memory based. Physics makes sense, science makes sense, but history and English were always a struggle for me. I can’t remember the name of the general who led the French army in WWI. I can’t even remember my own CO’s name from the 319th Bomb Wing! That has absolutely nothing to do with aircraft knowledge.

Nomenclatures change, and often different ones are used for different manufacturers for the same part. One manufacturer calls it a “trim piece”, another calls it a “garnish”. There are thousands of parts in a car, and with multiple models being produced by multiple manufacturers over generations of manufacturing and constant new models and new technologies, only someone obsessed with names or memory games could possibly remember all the nomenclatures.

Only one time in all these years have I ever had a problem getting the parts I needed from a parts window. I couldn’t remember the correct nomenclature, so I described how the part worked and its function. One of the two parts guys began snickering and lectured me on knowing the right name of the part, acting like I was an idiot because I didn’t. I got the part with I needed. And took my future business elsewhere. I haven’t gone back there since. If someone who’d worked for me in industry ever treated a customer like that, he/she would have been summoned to my office and terminated immediately.