Defective ford ignition modules 1982-1986 models

Why has Ford not reimbursed owners for defective modules. parts and labor as per class action lawsuit from 1998. I’ve replaced 3 so far on my 86 LTD. THE HEATER HOSE PRESSES UP AGAINST IT AND WHEN THEY GET HOT THE DIODE FAILS AND YOU STALL AND THE CAR WILL NOT RESTART UNTILL IT COOLS OFF. THIS COULD TAKE HOURS… HERE IS A TRICK…GET SOME ICE CUBES AND LET THEM SIT AGAINST AND ON TOP OF THE MODULE… WHICH IS MOUNTED ON THE DISTRIBUTOR… AND THE CAR WILL RESTART IN ABOUT 10 MINS. IF YOU HAVE A QUART GLAD BAG FILL IT AND LEAVE IT WEDGED IN THERE AND IT SHOULD GET YOU HOME…

The TFI modules were not used in 82-84. I think 85 was the first year (Lincoln only) and were pretty much across the board in 86.

The lawsuit had a cut-off date and normally you have no claim after that date.
They paid for 2 of mine although I have no idea how they found out about me. Some VIN checks lead somewhere and others don’t. In your case, you may have been one of the don’ts.

You can do a search for TFI Settlement and mail them about his. It won’t hurt to ask.
If they do agree to this (not likely IMHO) you will get forms to fill out and every T must be crossed and every i dotted. This form also prohibits filing a lawsuit in the future.

If you get anything at all, whether it’s forms, reimbursement, etc., be prepared for a wait. Justice works pretty slow; in my case, about 2 years altogether.

Also, the coolant hose (as hot as it is) is not what cooks the module. The hot coolant is actually cooler than the heat from the module.

Rather than carrying a bag of ice, replace the module before it drops dead completely; and it will eventually. Hopefully not while you’re trying to beat a loaded Kenworth through the intersection.

If you want to solve the problem completely do as I did. I mounted the module on an aluminum heat sink and placed it inside the airbox where incoming air kept it cool. This involved making a pigtail connector to reach and drilling a few holes, but it’s not that bad.

If you replace the module you MUST use the special grease that comes with it. Failure to do this will kill the new module.
And if you think those modules don’t get hot try turning the key on with the module separated from the distributor (cold engine). Wait a couple of minutes and quickly touch that metal plate on the back. You’ll see what I mean.

Hope some of that helps and good luck.