Decisions decisions

Hi,

Im Stephen and need some advice. I currently have a 2000 BMW 528i Wagon w/ a manual tranny and all the bells and whistles. I lost my license last year in June and do, however qualify for an interlock device.

My question is Im thinking about selling my BMW for a 1997-1999 Camry because I’d rather have a simple car to have an interlock installed rather than a decked out Beamer. I love my BMW, but dont want to put it through interlock treatment and a camry, I think, would be simple and perfect for it.

I dont need two cars so its either or. Plus I live in Sheridan, Wy and dont want to have to flaunt a BMW everytime I go in to have the interlock calibrated. I’d rather have the Beamer without having to go through this dilemma.

So, what do ya think? My aunts’ boyfriends a car dealer so he could probably find me a camry around those years. I think the bmw is maybe too much car for me, I dont need anything fancy. I bought it on impulse because I love BMW’s and got it for $5500 in excellent condish and drives flawlessly.

Thanks guys.

As long as you are sober when you are behind the wheel, any car is fine. I don’t really understand your motives for selling the BMW for a Camry, but it it makes sense to you - fine.

The BMW is an entertaining car to drive, but expensive to own due to repair costs. The Camry is kind of boring to drive but will get you there. Camry’s of that era are not cheap to repair either, and due to age some repairs will be necessary as well. The auto trans in a Camry is more likely to fail than the standard tran in the BMW. Replacing transmissions in older cars can be the deal breaker.

I’d tend to stick with what I have and know, over an unknown used car.

Forgetting the reasons why; would you trade your car for a Camry otherwise ? If not, agree with UT that it makes sense just to keep what your have. If you’re just looking for a reason to go with a Camry and you feel it may be “less conspicuous” and less likely to “draw attention” that’s in your hands and only you can decide.

The guys installing and calbrating the interlock device won’t care what you’re driving. They’ve seen it all.

You need to decide which one you want. Personally, if you have a substance abuse problem I’d rather see you taking a bus. If I had my way the Beemer would have been impounded when you were arrested, confiscated when you were convicted, and sold at auction with the proceeds going toward catching more DUI drivers.

Yes, I’m being horribly harsh. My kids and others I care about share the roads with you. I don’t want them killed because you like to party.

If I had my way the Beemer would have been impounded when you were arrested, confiscated when you were convicted, and sold at auction with the proceeds going toward catching more DUI drivers.
Yes, I’m being horribly harsh. My kids and others I care about share the roads with you. I don’t want them killed because you like to party.

You aren’t. You’re being a problem solver with a simple solution that has managed to allude most. I’ve used the threat and execution of loss of vehicle to keep my own kids in line, break up brawls , peacefully remove trouble makers from all sorts of peaceful situations, control school kids behavior at school by denial of parking privilege and so on. Yet, when stopping and arresting OUI’s and seeing the same people behind the same “wheels” later, it really makes you wonder where everyone’s head is…I know, but it’s impolite to say.
Nothing personal OP…