Deciding GM vin number

Enough “beating around the bush”. Whoever made the decision to use that stylized font is/was an idiot. :imp:

1 Like

Yeah maybe and back to putting the slash through the zeros like the military so you can tell the difference between an O and a 0. My lawn mower model has an O right after a sequence of numbers for some crazy reason. Until I caught on I’d get a “no result found” every time I’d try to find a part. I remember having to plug in about a 15 digit software code to update my navi system with the zeros and finally had to call them to ask which were zeros and which were O’s. When did they stop teaching this? Sorry got off on a tangent. Been a long day.

I’m an advocate of this. It’s been years since I spent time in England, but I seem to remember that the English do this. Can anybody confirm this? :confused:

Morning fellows and sorry for digging out this old post.
Does any of you knows the name of this specific font??

Looking to redo a damaged Vin sticker…

Thanks

Welcome to the community, but since I don’t know you, I am not going to take a chance helping a car thief, in case one happens along here.

I really think that repairing or tampering with or making a VIN could get you into some trouble. I’d let it be.

You can thank me later. Welcome aboard.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Check with your states DMV ( Department of Motor Vehicles ) there are rules dealing with things like this.

I’m in the engraving business and someone asked me to make a replica of this tag.
He off course provided the title matching the required number on the tag.

Was wondering if someone new the name of this specific font since a lot of other brand use regular line font.

Thanks for your help.

You are an engraver and you don’t have samples of Fonts ? A simple Google search is your best first step here.

Turns out that font is not easy to find. One guy looked through 4000 fonts, no match. In the discussion on a GM forum nobody could help.

I’ve been in the business for 20 years can not identify this one.
Haven’t found anything but found this post on google…

I do believe it is a metal tag and laser engraved. How could it be damaged? They are virtually indestructible. They are intentionally made hard to remove without destroying them for a reason. Then if its the sticker on fenders and parts, what’s the point unless the car has been stripping. The song Indiana wants me comes to mind. Bad idea either way.

It will remain a mystery then…
Thanks for quick feedback.

I believe that is called “Posident Typeface”.

*#### 9. POSIDENT TYPEFACE *

Comments:

While NHTSA did not propose any specific action relating to the “positive identification style”/“posident” typeface, the subject was addressed in the NPRM and two commenters specifically commented on it.

Citing the interpretation noted in the NPRM, which specifically states that the “positive identification style”/“posident” typeface is permitted under Part 565, GM indicated that it plans to continue its use of the typeface in its VIN marking.

From this document;

Wow! That’s weird… all those fonts available and the VINs have to use some goofy font that people have all kinds of trouble duplicating…

How’d they expect people to make their own VINs? :hushed:
What were they thinking? :joy:
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Well, now we have a name. But I can’t find a picture of anything (besides a GM VIN tag) using the ‘posident’ font.

Its is just funny cause this is a GM exception…

Found another clue. On an equipment rental association document, they said that for ID numbers “The font should be Posident or similar (OCR-B) to avoid possibility to alter characters.” So it’s not duplicating they’re trying to prevent, it’s alteration (like changing an “L” to and “E”). Still no picture of the actual font.

Does any of you knows the name of this specific font??

Looking to redo a damaged Vin sticker…

Its called “Felony when reproduced Script-Light”

+1

Additionally, this thread is about “VIN numbers”, which–literally–means Vehicle Identification Number Numbers. I guess that the people who speak of VIN numbers are the same ones who speak of ATM machines (literally, Automatic Teller Machine Machines).

This message has been brought to you by the Office of Redundancies Office.
:smiley:

In the military we referred to it as the redundancy office of the department of redundancy.