Dealership states that they have never overtightened an oil plug ever

I’m certain that dealership has a full time Technical Inspector checking torque on every oil drain plug and all lug nuts. (Heavy Sarcasm).

2 Likes

I think that is half of the problem, common wrenches are nowhere near 12" in length, my craftsmen 14 mm wrench is 7" long, the middle of your hand on a small wrench like that is at about 4 1/2" from the bolt. Loosening bolts with cheap wrenches can hurt your hand. Buy a longer wrench, that should be more practical than driving to Dallas to have someone loosen the drain plug.

For the Acura I buy the plug gaskets 1/2 dozen at a time when I order filters. They are about 50 cents each. I always replace them, always.

2 Likes

I’ve always used a ratchet/socket arrangement for that job. Do mechanics routinely use ordinary wrenches for removing/installing the oil drain plug?

usually a ratchet and socket

however . . . there are a few instances where access is tight and I have to use a combo wrench instead

I use a box wrench but Snap-On wrenches are usually longer than store bought wrenches. A 14 mm wrench fits an 8 mm bolt, that doesn’t normally take as much effort to tighten or loosen as a drain plug with a 12 mm thread.

You have read this thread and others and question why I want to provide torque specs for jobs?

And the disease is spreading…you’ve made your point elsewhere, no reason to turn this thread into another discussion on that topic.

I use a ratcheting end wrench for oil drain plugs, both to remove and to install. About the only time I use a socket and ratchet is if I need a 6-point because the head is starting to strip.

Personally I have never overtightened a drain plug. Mine have always been just right. :wink:

1 Like

I can understand wanting to save money on the free oil changes at the dealer but this is one of the reasons I did my own oil changes instead getting the free ones after buying my last two cars. I just prefer doing it myself.

2 Likes

Nixon said he wasn’t a crook and Clinton said he didn’t have sex with that woman. He also said it depends on what is is. I still haven’t figured that one out yet.

The point is, liars don’t have any trouble telling lies.

5 Likes

Dealership states that they have never overtightened an oil plug ever

They Lied. End of discussion LOL.

4 Likes

Perfect answer…

Of course they won’t admit it ever happened. That’s the nature of the beast. Deny EVERYTHING.

How the hell can they honestly say it’s NEVER happened. That’s impossible.

I called Subaru USA and they worked out with the dealership to loosen the oil plug. I have this in writing now.

If the dealership just owned up to it. This issue would have been resolved already and they still have a happy customer

1 Like

How do you ‘check’ the Torque?? If the wheel nuts are LOOSE (not tightened) - they can be tightened and properly torqued up…

But how does someone ‘check’ the torque?? Suppose the correct torque for the wheel lug nuts - is 80 ft lbs. They have been over tightened to 95. Someone comes along with a wrench set to ‘80’. Putting it onto each lug nut - YEP - the wrench ‘clicks’ at 80. So it was correctly torqued… NOPE. Remember - they were over tightened.

Torquing is something which is done WHEN you tighten the bolt or nut. You cannot ‘check’ it afterwards. When you are tightening - you correctly torque it. If you do not - one will never know; if you got it wrong. Unless you under torqued; and the person checking moved up like 40; it clicks; 50 it doesn’t click and nut moves… But again, torquing is something done basically at ONE time. You are tightening the nut. You torque it. Afterwards, stuff settles in… and slowly changes. Which is why sometimes a proper torque requires you to torque the nut(s); and then USE the device for a while; and after some time - come back and re-torque - without loosening any of the nuts or bolts…

Now wait a minute! They could be telling the truth- if they just opened yesterday.

2 Likes

When i did the first oil change on my wife’s 2016 Kia Soul i replaced the drain plug with a fumotovalve this is car number 8 that i’ve installed the valve on. I also bought the optional fitting that alows a 3/8 inch hose to be clicked onto the valve, very handy option.

I’ve been doing oil changes for 25+ years. I’ve never over tightened an oil plug.

I have, however, forgotten to re-add oil after an oil change… lol

Subaru corporate is paying for the oil change. Talking to the Dallas Subaru service representative. He said they only have a 14 mm drain plug. It’s good I did my research and got a 17 mm drain plug. If I didn’t know that the 14 mm easily strip and a 17 mm is available. I would have just let them out a 14 mm.

Thank you for the internet. Or I would still be relying on these experts.