Dealer Rate to Change Spark Plugs

I will pull them up Mike but you will need something to make that crow taste better. Remember one when you mis-quoted me about a 4-whell drive vehicle on ice? You did almost apologize.

He did say todays cars are hard to work on because of pollution controls,he did say it in a backwards way by saying old cars are easier to work on due to the lack of pollution controls “all the room no pollution control devices”

I was wrong…it’s NOT a reading comprehension problem…it’s a LOGIC problem. Saying cars of the 60’s are easier to work on is NOT the same as saying todays cars are HARD to work on. They’re just easier. Have you EVER worked on a V8 from the 60’s?? If you have…you mean to tell me that there’s as much room working on a car from the 60’s as there are from today??? When I was 22 and back from nam…I was able to fit under the hood of the Dad’s Malibu SS with a 327 and close the hood…I’m NOT a small man. It was EASY to do almost anything on those engines…But that doesn’t mean to say that working on todays cars are DIFFICULT…JUST HARDER.

Read this one you apologized and commented on your own poor reading comprehension

“Putting weight in my truck for winter” (use search and view your comments on your poor reading)

Do you do more dances than just the two step? You sure are dancing on this one Mike

Mike, please clarify. I thought “difficult” and “hard” were synonyms. If they aren’t synonymous, what is the difference between “difficult” and “hard?”

In order to state something is “easy,” it is usually in comparison to something that is difficult, or harder than the easy thing. How can something be harder than the easy thing and not be difficult in comparison? If 1960s cars are (or were) easier to work on than today’s cars, logically, doesn’t that mean today’s cars are harder (or more difficult) to work on than 1960s cars? If not, why? I have studied logic and I don’t understand your explanation. If A is easier than B, isn’t B more difficult than A?

Are you splitting hairs? Is this turning into an argument about nothing?

What this is turning into is me standing up to a bully nothing more complicated.

This guy was such a great mechanic that I sometimes had to wait up to two weeks for an appointment, which wasn’t practical.

Pretty much the same deal in McAllen, Mike. I have always in the past used independents, but not in McAllen. The few good ones, and there are some, don’t want even to make an appointment days ahead. They want the car left there several days for their convenience. I don’t have but one car, and that is not practical.

I tend to resent implications that we are just stupid or lazy not to find your wonderful ubiquitous independent, when the problem really is you are generalizing that things are the same everywhere as where you live and have lived. This is a big world and the US is a big country, and things are not the same all over.

Oldschool, if it makes you feel any better I’ve been crossways with Mike a couple of hundred times and after this post the number will probably rise to 201.

Mike has spoken in the past about the flat rate pay system and I proved him wrong. (A system which he admits he has never worked under)

He has claimed that a dealer demonstrator car is technically a “brand new car”, which it is not. It’s considered a used car. Again, proven wrong. (and NADA says so too.)

Mike started a post bashing GM (what else is new) about GM revamping the Onstar system a couple of years ago and what a bunch of low lifes they were for charging customers a subscription fee. Tester correctly pointed out that GM had no say-so in this matter as it was determined by the Dept. of Defense. Yet Mike still insisted that Tester was wrong; which then led to Tester providing a link from a news story in which a Pentagon press release stated just that. Wrong again.

That’s just a few I dredged up in the interest of making oldschool feel better and dragging 201 to the surface.

The one I am curious about is which GM model is it that requires cutting a hole in the firewall to remove a heater core? (Yep, reason for asking.) :slight_smile:

Mike, please clarify. I thought “difficult” and “hard” were synonyms. If they aren’t synonymous, what is the difference between “difficult” and “hard?”

It’s called RELATIVE…YES…cars today are HARDER/MORE DIFFICULT (use what ever term you want) to work on then cars of the 60’s…THAT’S A FACT…That does NOT mean THEY ARE DIFFICULT…just MORE difficult then cars of the 60’s.

Replacing the oil filter on my 90 Nissan Pathfinder was EASY…but FAR MORE DIFFICULT then replacing the oil filter on my 05 4-runner. See the difference???

Replacing the spark-plugs on my 4-runner is a pretty easy job…Replacing the plugs on my 67 Malibu SS with the 327 was MUCH easier. Now the overall tuneup on the Malibu was harder because I had a lot more to do…Cap, Rotor, Points, capacitor…setting the dwell (remember dwell meters???).

Can you see how I proved he mis-quoted me (did you go look at the thread about “Putting weight in my truck”) Mike told me to put up and show some proof of him mis-quoting me and I did. He was pretty sure I could not provide prior posts of his behaviour,it is all there in black and white for all to read.

He doesn’t respond to Whiety’s quizz about how he comes up with his explaination about the difference between difficult and hard.

He has to live with himself knowing he told me to put up and I called him and he came up short.

It not like nobody else can read all the posts and see whats going on.

Typical bully behavior,they don’t think anyone will stand up to them,well he figured wrong.

Mike has spoken in the past about the flat rate pay system and I proved him wrong. (A system which he admits he has never worked under)

You didn’t prove me wrong on the flat-rate…All you proved what HOW a flat rate system works where YOU live. They don’t work the same way in other parts of the country.

He has claimed that a dealer demonstrator car is technically a “brand new car”, which it is not. It’s considered a used car. Again, proven wrong. (and NADA says so too.)

WRONG…I suggest you find that post and re-read it…I NEVER EVER made that claim…in fact I made the opposite claim. I DID say that Chryco USE to sell their demo cars as NEW…but then were FORCED to stop. OK…I don’t mind arguing with you…but PLEASE stop LYING…or distorting the facts.

Mike started a post bashing GM (what else is new) about GM revamping the Onstar system a couple of years ago and what a bunch of low lifes they were for charging customers a subscription fee.

Again…WRONG…that was NOT me…Please get your facts straight. Someone else posted that…I chimed in and said that I didn’t think it was fair…I had no idea about the validity of the claim…GREAT you proved it wrong…GOOD FOR YOU…But it was NOT I who made the claim…

The one I am curious about is which GM model is it that requires cutting a hole in the firewall to remove a heater core? (Yep, reason for asking.) :slight_smile:

First generation Camaro’s and Firebirds. I guess you never replaced one. YES it could be replaced without cutting the hole…But cutting the hole was considered the quickest and easiest way to remove the core. First time I did one…Right in the Chiltons manual showed you exactly where to cut the hole.

And do you claim I did not prove you wrong about not mis-quoting me? thread “Putting weight in my truck” not saying much about that one.

http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/1858809.page

Put the wilfull lie I told down here lets see it.

Can you see how I proved he mis-quoted me (did you go look at the thread about “Putting weight in my truck”) Mike told me to put up and show some proof of him mis-quoting me and I did. He was pretty sure I could not provide prior posts of his behaviour,it is all there in black and white for all to read.

Please post the URL to the thread…If I EVER misquoted you it was an HONEST mistake…I honestly do NOT remember this. Where-as you’ve WILLFULLY misquoted me…in other words LYING…BIG DIFFERENCE.

He doesn’t respond to Whiety’s quizz about how he comes up with his explaination about the difference between difficult and hard.

YES I did…read below.

Typical bully behavior,

BULLY BEHAVIOR…LOOK IN THE MIRROR…I suggest you re-read your posts. That maturity thing again isn’t it.

…For what it’s worth, the manufacturer does consider demonstrator cars as brand new and dealers sells them as such,

BUT, I AM IN NO WAY DEFENDING MIKE since he is routinely rude, mean spirited, condescending, rarely admits when he’s wrong unless he cannot wiggle out of it, YELLS AT EVERYBODY WITH CAPS LOCK and if Mike disagrees with a post he will berate that poster instead of agreeing to disagree.

oldschool is correct in stating he is nothing more than a bully. Bully’s typically are nothing more than bitter, insecure people that take their self imposed insignificance out on others. I feel kind of sorry for him but he brought this on himself.

OldGuy…You’re right…I did…and I immediately apologized DIDN’T I???

You’ve mis-quoted me MANY times (twice in this thread alone)…I did ACCIDENTALLY ONCE…YOU’VE NEVER APOLOGIZED…Yup…You’re being an adult aren’t you???

WOW. $46.80 for plugs. If this is an example of American businessmen’s practices it’s no wonder the U S is losing business to other countries. Thankfully for me I can change my own plugs and was able to get great Bosch plugs at the WalMart. 6 plugs - less than $12.00.

Unless you live in Upper North Dakota where the closest city of 10k is 100+ miles away…it’s NOT difficult to find a good reputable mechanic.

I have never lived in North Dakota, but I have lived in eight different cities, and I recognize that things are not the same all over. But, I guess you have enough experience to tell me how things are EVERYWHERE. Good for you for being such a know-it-all. I solute you!

Since when is spark-plugs a WARRANTY item. Even extended warranties don’t cover spark-plugs.

I never said that spark plugs ARE warranty items. I never even inferred that, Mike. I was giving a DIRECT answer to a DIRECT question, which was ?WHY would anyone go to a dealer to have spark-plugs changed?? The answer to that question is that if you want to prevent voiding your warranty, it would be in your interest to keep records of your maintenance. Some people are not good at keeping these records, and dealerships keep them in their computers for you. Please try READ, and not to put words in my mouth.

Let’s see…pay 2-3 times what an Independent will charge for the same service…Yup…makes sense to me.

2-3 times what an independent will charge? Are you going to the Mercedes dealership or the Volvo dealership? I am talking about brands for which labor rates are lower than that. What independent mechanic do you know who will do an oil change for $24 or less? In my experience, independent mechanics have a price advantage for REPAIRS, but, if you are willing to shop around, you can find dealerships that have a price advantage on MAINTENANCE. Among them are Duval Honda in Jacksonville, Florida, Hollywood Honda in Hollywood, Florida, and Maroone Honda in Miami Lakes, Florida. They all charge more for repairs than local independents, but less for maintenance. Look them up and call them for quotes if you don?t believe me.

I think we should be able to agree that things are not the same all over, and that life in the Northeast is not the same as life in the Southeast, or the Southwest, or anywhere in the Bible belt. Some dealership DO have competitive pricing, and if you are willing to open your mind to new possibilities you don’t presently seem willing to consider, or do a little research, you will see that. Nonetheless, thank you for warning me not to take my car to any dealerships in New Hampshire, and for letting me know there are plenty of great trustworthy independent mechanics in your area. If I ever find myself in that part of the country, I will keep that in mind.

I’ve been reading this forum for years. Yes, Mike can come across as a bit crass on occasion. However, whatever some may think about his personality, from what I’ve read his advise is usually pretty good.

BTW, I’m not related to the guy. :wink:

With all due respect to you, his advise was average or above average ( not bad but not excellant ). The fact of the matter is he cannot function as a civil adult towards others.

Well, then I have to ask: I’ve got this cr@ppy-make/model that nevertheless has run well for 16 long years: Suzuki Sidekick 4 DR JS 2WD. (2WD becuase I bought it in FL, where it was the first tiny SUV and no 4WD needed.)

I need a clutch, wqorst case, and the care is worth only 1k Blue Book, even though a 150k cream-puff, very well-maintained. (Even the paint shines like new!) The local manual-transmission shops have apprently declined to do Suzukis form this era becuase they’re stupidly designed.

The dealership is almost double what a Indie-Shop quoted me, and they don’t have a high rating on “Angie’s List”. I dread going there…a bad decision here would be disastrous financially speaking.

Where do you go to find a reliable and can-do mechanic/independent, when you have a car nobody likes? Ideas??? Should I risk the dealership’s 1300.00 clutch? It could easily turn into 1600.00 as we know. And, no, I am absolutely not in a place to buy another car soon.

To clarify–the Independent shop quoted me 700ish for the clutch, then backed out saying they didn’t have the knowledge to even know if the new clutch cable was in right, though they didn’t think it was.

They told me they’d called all the local reputable mechanics THEY knew who had worked on cars like mine and said, sorry, they’re a no-go; you’ll have to do the dealership.

I said, “My God, do you know what they charge!?” (Which of course he does.) And he said, no, these days dealerships have realized they can’t keep business that way and on such high parts mark-ups, so they are pretty equal these days in price to your good independent shop."

I quote. What do you do when the shop itself sends you to the dealer, and not because you’re a weird customer?