Dealer or Brake Specialty Shop for Brakes?

Now that George brought up Wagner brakes . . .

Do NOT use Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads

As a professional, I find the name “Thermoquiet” to be a cruel joke, as I’ve had nothing but noise problems when using that particular brake pad, far more noise problems, versus some other aftermarket brake pads

Even when using brand new rotors and replacing all the hardware, meticulously cleaning everything, properly lubing everything, using the proper lube where applicable, making sure nothing’s frozen or seized, everything slides properly, torquing everything to spec, measuring and ensuring runout was within specs, etc., the Thermoquiets were anything but quiet. In other words, there’s a very good chance that in spite of doing literally everything perfectly and by the book, those thermoquiets will be a major source of noise

This is very important, because . . . sadly, in my opinion . . . Wagner Thermoquiet is a very popular brand for many independent shops and some of the larger chain auto repair shops. So if you bring the car somewhere and tell them to do a brake job, if you don’t say anything, they might assume you’re okay with thermoquiet and just use them

We haven’t had any noise problems with Wagner Severe Duty, on the other hand. I’m just mentioning this to point out that Wagner is capable of producing brake pads that are quiet, but . . . cruelly . . . Thermoquiet is not one of them

2 Likes