Dealer charging for key

I just bought a used vehicle from a dealer. He gave me one key and will “sell” me a second for $50. Is this normal, ethical?

Do any keys to the car have a computer chip in them?
I have heard of this happening, for it to cost that much if it’s a computer chip key…Otherwise, I’d say if there’s no computer chip, go to your local key shop and have one cut for far far less.

If the key is one of the new keys with a chip in it, yes. If it is a normal key, he is a rip-off.

yea that sounds about right. car dealers are like insurance companys. complete ripoff. if its the key with the computer chip in it then pay it. if it doesnt have a chip, just find a good locksmith. i needed a key for a ford dump truck, dealer wanted 36.00. my locksmith charged me 4.00.

Based on the $50 price, I assume it is a chipped key. However, I always use the dealer for my “conventional” keys because they will cut a correct key based on the VIN, instead of just coping the old worn key like the locksmith. As I recall, my dealer charges about $20 for a new “conventional” key.

If your asking if this is ethical for the dealer to charge you for an extra key it all depends on the deal and the “cheapness” of the dealer. Some will see it as not enough money to make an issue of it but others will see it as $50 less profit. Remember, you can shear a sheep every year but you can only kill it once, meaning, if they will not give you an extra key you they should not expect anymore business from you.

Speaking of sheep, I think this salesperson is fleecing the customer.

I wouldn’t put it past them to have a used vehicle trade in arrive with two keys only to have the salesperson hold back the 2nd key and try to put the money in his/her own pocket. Always one rotten apple…

I think I agree with you completely.

The dealer(used) may only have one key and is charging you to make the 2nd key.

Unfortunately you accepted the car with one key so by doing so you said this is acceptable. If you refused the deal the seller would make the key for free even if $200. After the sale is when you can tell if a dealer is decent and honest or a shark.

thanks for all the comments, I love the shearing sheep analogy.

All cars come with two keys !!! A used car dealer is cheating you otherwise. The owners manual tells you how to program additional keys #3 #4 etc because the computer knows you’re the owner if you have two to start with ( ford ). Any used car dealer should have pre-programed two keys to sell with a vehicle. If you don’t get another key programmed, the original second key is still programmed to your car and could be used to steal it ! Only after they go through the re-programming proccess will the computer no longer recognize the original second key, although it can still open the doors. All cars come with two keys !! The dealer should pay the tab for you after the sale like this.

All cars come with two keys !!!

That does not matter if the previous owner only turns one in. Even if it would be the right thing to do the dealer is not required to provide two keys. See my previous comment above about shearing sheep.

Assuming the dealer only had one key, it would be reasonable for him to build the price of the second key into the sale price so he could just “throw it in” for free. Alternatively, he could offer to sell the second key for wholesale.

Alternatively, he could offer to sell the second key for wholesale.

This is what the dealer did when the used vehicle I bought had only one key. It cost me about $56 out the door, including programming, and this one not only had a security chip, it was also a keyless entry system remote.

Once again… all cars come with two keys !!! It’s the resposibility of the dealer to get a second key ( not “extra” key ) for this car along with all the other prep done before it hits the lot. True, not all used cars at auctions come with two keys at the time but along with fresh oil change, tires, detailing, and oyher preparitory repairs to a used car, the dealer should provide the first two keys even if it means getting to the O.E. dealer for programming. It’s parts of the base cost of a used car but most car buyers are un-aware of this and used dealers continue to get away with this little scam. ( I’m a Ford dealer parts man 29 years )

The dealer has no such responsibility with a used car! It’s certainly good business practice, I’ll grant you. You obviously work for a dealer with some scruples, Ken.

That sounds fair to me; I wouldn’t want to pay a couple of $100, but I would pay wholesale.

When I bought my car, I only got 1 key too. The dealer gave me a deal that if I bought extra keys he would program them for free. So I spent $50.00 for 2 keys and got the $90.00 progam fee waived.
Hopefully the key that you have to buy is one that has a chip in it, otherwise it is a rip off.

Consider this, some cars can have a key “user programmed” if two already programmed keys exist. It is relatively inexpensive to have a key cut with a chip. If there is only one programmed key, the second key needs to be programmed with a dealer (generally) diagnostic tool and they charge quite a bit for that. My car is like that so I had a third key made just in case I lost one of them.

Agreed, if it came in with one key make an extra and build it into the price. The dealer does not lose money and the customer is none the wiser and happy with 2 keys.