'Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll'

Kinda an option on the Highlander. I could have gotten keyless system for the higher trims. Wasn’t worth paying an extra $5k for that.

Of course you’re right about garages in general being preferable. That’s why I like having both. It’s a problem for those of us with zoning Regs that prevent such accommodations…understood and realize that we all don’t normally run motors in garages. Besides, there’s now 20 plus more feet of driveway we don’t have to shovel. :wink:

‘G.M. Backs Rule to Curb Carbon-Monoxide Risk in Keyless Cars’

'Forgetting to shut off a keyless vehicle has been a safety hazard for years, causing a growing number of carbon-monoxide deaths. But a proposed regulation to require warning signals and other precautions has languished in the face of opposition from the auto industry.'

sell more cars that way?

Next thing the gov’t will make leaving your car running a crime. Oh that’s right some locales already have. Might as well just accelerate the driverless car programs. Our gov’t already wants, self braking, automatic lane keeping, and now I saw on the news groups are pushing for front view cameras. Might as well just get on the autonomous vehicle band wagon and be done with driving altogether. Personally I don’t think 28 deaths and 45 injuries in 13 years is that grave a problem. There are more deaths and injuries on stairways. Should we petition Big Brother to mandate some way to mitigate that risk too? Oh. They already do, maximum step height, width, must have railing and other things. But then again things like common sense (shutting off your car, looking before crossing the road, train tracks etc. watching where you step) are approaching extinction anyways. Anyways that’s my rant for the day thanks for reading. :grimacing:

Every keyless car I’ve ever been in emits a loud, annoying beeping if you leave the vehicle while it’s still running. Unless you’re doing something dumb like storing the key in the vehicle and thereby begging for it to be stolen, this should not be a problem.

Yes, because morons would leave it running, unlocked, for half an hour and then have to call the cops and waste their time looking for the car that should never have been stolen in the first place.

If you don’t like making leaving your car running illegal, I’d be willing to support the alternate : if you leave it running and it’s stolen, you pay for all the policing costs related to the event.

3 Likes

I have felt that way for sometime . The Quik Trip stores in this area have become a source for car thieves due to all the people that leave vehicles unlocked and running. As my wife says " Your car was not stolen , you gave it away ."

3 Likes

"Without the motion of turning a physical key, some car owners, especially older ones, forget to turn off a vehicle."

And, most of the people whose children died because they were left in locked vehicles for hours during searing summer temperatures use the excuse that they “forgot” (apparently, for hours…) to remove the child from the car. :open_mouth:

I know that a lack of personal responsibility has been rampant in The US for several decades, but I am reminded of that Southern comedian’s line about… You can’t fix stupid.

No, I am not making light of the deaths of clueless car owners or their children, but when do we start holding people responsible for their own actions, instead of blaming car companies for the stupidity of those folks?
:thinking:

5 Likes