'Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll'

I love them. Very convenient. Wife’s 07 Lexus has it. Been driving with it for over 10 years now. No issues. Had to replace the battery once, but that was not biggie. For women the biggest benefit is they don’t have to fumble through their purse to find their keys. Even for Men…especially when you have 3 kids you’re trying to get into the car…and one is very young who’s fallen asleep in your arms.

If you exit my wifes car with the fob while the car is still running it beeps to let you know.

There was a brief TV news report concerning this. Little detail and no new information. It did remind me that I have already owned at least 3 “virtually” keyless entry/ignition cars. 1954, 55, and 57 Chevrolets! When I owned them in the 1960s crime was almost non-existent. I didn’t know anyone who locked their house or car. The ignition switch in my Chevys allowed the key to be removed without turning it to the lock position. I carried a key in my pocket for trunk access or if my buddies pranked me by locking my doors. LOL. So with the key in my pocket I could open the door, climb into the driver seat, turn the ignition switch which protruded enough to on, then to start. I guess the old saying “The more things change, the more they stay the same” is true. Just kidding. As I remember other GMs of that vintage had a similar keyless entry/ignition “option”.

Some benefits to the consumer have been mentioned. However, I believe the primary reason it was developed was to reduce cost. The mechanical parts necessary to implement legacy keys cost more money in materials and labor to install them than the new electronic versions. This saves the manufacturer money which they simply pocket and tout the new version as a benefit to consumers…

Especially since keyed ignitions often still look for the signal from paired fobs before they start, to try and prevent theft.

Two deaths per year…yawn…

I thought I’d heard on Click and Clack a few years ago, that with newer cars it was almost impossible to become poisoned by exhaust fumes in the garage.

That’s what I’d heard too but haven’t tried it. They also told us in the Army that diesel fumes as you sat in the back of the truck were not noxious too. I don’t know if that was true or not but I do know covering yourself with a poncho in a nuclear attack was stupid.

I believe there have been cases of unsuccessful suicide attempts with newer ultraclean cars.

The key word being almost :wink:

There’s two ways this can go wrong as well. You can be subjected to combustion byproducts that affect your physiology OR if your space is fairly airtight, the available oxygen gets consumed to a point where you succumb to hypoxia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/business/carbon-monoxide-keyless-cars.html

I never thought cars belonged in garages unless they were electric or there for long term storage. A carport is all they “ deserve.” Garages are for our toys.

Spoken like someone lucky enough not to deal with -30F temps and foot-deep snow storms. :wink:

Not to mention that in the summer when the wind drives 1 inch hail sideways, it’s nice to have the car in the garage so you only have to make a homeowner’s claim for your siding.

2 Likes

Not to mention rodents chewing on that soybean wiring.

:wink:
Just the opposite. We live in mid Maine on a small mountain and average 100 plus inches of snow yearly. ( 200 inches is not unusual). I was convinced when tripping to Canada and noticed how many of them have car ports. Like the south, we are more apt to put cars under a carport year round then in a garage. The sun is the biggest enemy to an auto’s finish. Besides, we need the garage to store three boats and a work shop. . Did I mention carports are great places to have out door cook outs, rain or shine ?
Besides, if a car can’t start out of doors in -30f temperatures, it needs a tune up or a new battery.
Frost on windshields is no problem as frost, like rain, is vertical phenom.

My first house had a garage, my second house didn’t. My current house does. I far prefer a garage. In NH, for the record.

1 Like

Exactly. My wife has one on her car. She has to lose her entire purse to lose the fob. Replacing any fob requires a bank loan so that’s huge. I see nothing but advantages to them in today’s cars where everything is under computer control regardless. Wish my truck came with one…

Perhaps they should be an option.

I’ve seen garages save marriages.

Absolutely true. But at -30F I’m more worried about me starting than the car. :wink:

Perhaps. But I still prefer a garage. Especially when I wake in the morning and there’s a blizzard outside. :grin: