'Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll'

Rehash of old news, ABC report from Aug. 2015.

Included in a discussion here from Feb. 2016

Must take a long time for the New York Times to get to RT in the desert .

This is the first Iā€™ve seen of this issue myself.

Personally I think weā€™ve crossed a bit of a line on computers/convenience vs. being aware of and responsible for our own driving.

I have a 2009 Dodge with one of the ā€œkeylessā€ key fobs. Itā€™s not quite like the ones described in this articleā€¦ but in the 2 years Iā€™ve had the car, I think Iā€™ve gone through 4 fobs. Theyā€™ve failed for different reasons. But I know if I had an actual metal keyā€¦ it probably would be the first and last key Iā€™d ever need for the car.

I donā€™t want an internet hot spot in any of my cars. Reason being, unlikely as it may be, the car could be hacked by someone.

Though the new safety equipment for lane changes, automatic braking, and all that, is appealing to a degreeā€¦ for some folks, it will just lead to ā€œreliance on the computerā€ and ultimately inattention.

For the foreseeable future, Iā€™ll continue to buy used cars to avoid these sorts of issues. My next vehicle after the Dodge will hopefully have a metal key.

2 Likes

I donā€™t like them. Too many issues. And frankly, I donā€™t see any benefit to them. Have we gotten so lazy that we canā€™t turn a key?

1 Like

Turn a key? Push a button? It seems the same from an effort standpoint. Push button starting is a good thing for me as my arthritic thumbs get worse. It seems to me that an electronic system for starting and finding the fob to allow starting is probably less expensive than the mechanism for the keyed ignition in the long run. Both systems have safety problems. Keyed starting is a safety issue if drivers have too many keys on their key ring Iā€™m sure you remember that.

So does everything mechanical. I used to service televisions back in the days of old school mechanical tuners and it was the tuners that gave the most trouble. Todayā€™s electronic tuners give very little trouble, mostly dead batteries in the remote or the remote lost behind the cushions on the sofa.
Todayā€™s electronic ignition is an order of magnitude more reliable than old school points and condensers.
Iā€™m not a fan of gimmicks myself but thereā€™s no way Iā€™m going back to points and carburetors, and I have had more than one mechanical key opened lock fail on me.
As far as hacking is concerned, the old school key switches could be hot wired and locks could be picked.

The fob for my 2010 Kia can unlock the doors and trunk or lock the doors. The only thing I normally use it for is the trunk. I wish it opened with the key. The fob stays in my pocket. Why would I use it to unlock the door when I still need the key to start the car? I lock the doors with the armrest button when I exit. My key ring has one car key and one house key.

I think the idea is to keep the trunk contents secure when using valet parking. You only give the valet the key and you keep the fob and he canā€™t access the trunk.

Not a very good idea when the trunk can be easily accessed with the lever next to the driver seat.

I can unlock the drivers door while approaching vehicle with one push on remote or two to unlock all doors . I see no reason to use key to unlock door . And I like the push to start feature .

5h
Must take a long time for the New York Times to get to RT in the desert .

Just takes time to shovel all the manure in the Times out of the way first.

I can switch off the trunk control lever in my 1996 Dodge, no so in a 2010 KIA?

In my Accord, there is a fob for unlocking the doors and starting the car, but no trunk access. I can also lock the trunk lever below the drivers seat.

Well, there goes THAT theory!

I always thought the advantage of keyless entry is that it makes the car harder to steal.

Itā€™s interesting to see people blame absent minded behavior on the car. My former sister in law had this problem (of absentmindedly leaving the car running) long before keyless entry was available.

WOW. Imagine if we made drunk driving into a front line issue and put knee jerk reactions into place? Frivolous lawsuit.

Maybe we should hold the alcohol companies responsible.

Half of the drivers that gassed themselves probably had some alcohol in them.

The problem is America, the lawyers and the judge love their alkihol.

1 Like

No TV out where I live.

Those pigeons can carry only a page at a time.

Remember push-button transmissions? A friend had one on his Valiant.

I read a story in the ā€˜LA Weeklyā€™ in the '90s about a Serbian crime syndicate that had computer-controlled radios that sent thousands of combinations/second. Theyā€™d stand next to spiffy cars in LA, biding their time until the computer hit, hot-wire it and drive off.

Somebody observed that if you make something fool-proof, somebody will invent a better fool.

Nope. I checked the owner manual. It is cable actuated not electric.

Youā€™re on the wrong thread, Rick. The subject here is keyless cars and the problems people have had with them turning themselves on in garages. The subject of the thread is not alcohol or the legislative and judicial systems. Keyless ignition systems are not statutorily mandated or regulated.