Dating cars on TV

In the latest RM Downey Sherlock Holmes movie, they were driving around London in motor cars, but in the original Sherlock Holmes stories, they always rode around town in horse pulled wagons and carts. I think there was only one mention of motor cars in the whole AC Doyle canon.

But the movie was still pretty good. These things can be overlooked for the sake of entertainment I guess.

Obvious FWD vehicles drifting around corners like they’re RWD sports cars.
And lets not forget one of the biggest mistakes in movie car chase history:

I always figured he must have tilted up on a second loading ramp that we didn’t see.

I watched a car chase in a cane field on Hawaii 5 0 one night when Garrit would drive a 75 or 76 Mercury one way and an older one back. I could tell by the taillights and grill.

@MikeinNH: I agree 100% And since fiction, especially good sci-fi is an exercise in suspension of disbelief for a while, it spoils it for me when something is so grossly inaccurate or silly. Examples would be fax tones for a dial-up modem, something powered by a 9-volt battery exploding in sparks when broken, someone picking a door lock in 4 seconds with a paper clip, hot-wiring a car by ripping down 2 random wires from under the dash and sparking them together, never mind steering wheel locks, etc. The list goes on and on.

I think the more you treat people as ignorant, the more ignorant they eventually become.

I always figured he must have tilted up on a second loading ramp that we didn't see.

From the interview on Top Gear’s James Bond special, the director said he had to leave for an emergency while filming the movie. They had already filmed the car exiting the alley, but the entrance had yet to be filmed before he left, so he left that to another to film, and that’s the result

The movie Swordfish was on the other day. One scene Hugh Jackson was forced to decipher a 32 character encrypted password in 10 seconds.

For the Record…

A sophisticated hacker might be able to try 1 trillion password combinations per second. In that scenario, it takes 180 years to crack an 11-character password, but there’s a big jump when you add just one more character – 17,134 years.

@bscar2
That as to be one of the most debilitating factors in car chase scenes, fwd cars. Everything has to be planned so the drifting is done while coasting with slicks on the rear.

I think the one thing that stands out to me is the sound of screeching tires on a dirt road.

@oblivion @MikeInNH

The most annoying computer screwup I saw was an episode of CSI. Guy fired up a Windows machine. The Mac startup sound played. They actually had to do more work to screw it up (get the mac sound and edit it into the clip) than they would have if they had just recorded the sound of the actual computer starting up.

The other one I hate is Military screw-ups. Especially rank.

One of the biggest blunders was on the Si-Fi show Babylon-5.

The first person they had commanding the station was a Commander (They were using Navy military ranks). He had the right insignia (Silver Oak-Leaf). This rank is equivalent to a Marine/Army/Air Force Lt Colonel.

The next and last commander they had was a Captain. A Navy Captain’s Insignia is an Eagle. This is equivalent rank to a Colonel in the Marine/Army/Air Force. A Navy Captain is about what I’d expect for this type of position.

But the Insignia they used on the show was that of a Marine/Army/Air Force Captain. Which is two silver bars. That insignia is the rank of a Navy Lt (Lieutenant).

I’ve seen that more then once in other movies/Tv shows.

I can give that one a pass - it’s fairly logical to assume that if we ever have an interplanetary armed forces branch, it will draw from several of today’s branches. A Marines/Navy hybrid is a very likely scenario, since we’ll need people familiar with aboard-ship operations as well as people familiar with ground ops for away missions. I imagine the Marines would be a little ticked off if the Navy got 100% of the traditions in the space branch.

The "Nash Bridges " website had a page where viewers could list the little inconsistancies they spotted. It was just fun.

There is a study guide for “Dante’s Inferno” that discusses the accuracy of the science in the movie. They differentiate between mistakes in science that affect the plot (lava from volcanoes of the type in the Northwest doesn’t flow) and Hollywood just being Hollywood (they just happen to drive by the dog on the whole huge mountain).

One of the major expenses in movies is making sure this stuff doesn’t happen. Let’s not demand even higher costs.

@keith
"I think the one thing that stands out to me is the sound of screeching tires on a dirt road. "

We’ve been DVRing Boardwalk Empire on HBO. Last night we watched one that was aired (Do you say “aired” for Cable content?) four or five weeks ago. They had Model T Fords screeching their tires on dirt roads. Their sound effects person should be shot. My Model T was only good for a shade over 30MPH, and could never have screeched its tires, even on wet pavement.

Speaking of MASH, there’s an episode where they’re “bugging out” or moving camp. They’re riding in a convoy of trucks and reading letters from home. The scene cuts from truck to truck with different cast members. Looking at the rust stain above the windshield, it becomes obvious that it’s the same truck in every shot.

Another inconsistency in MAS*H is the old bus that is used. THe bus is on either a 1953 or 1954 Ford chassis. The Korean war was over by the time that bus chassis was made.

speaking of B5…
If you watch lip movement about 45 seconds in, Sherriden says “east” but lips “west”.

Ok, when we are talking about screw ups, in Jaws, the Sheriff has the badge over his RIGHT breast not over his LEFT breast or over his heart. I’ve never ever seen anyone wearing their badge on the right side, its always over the heart. Anyone know what the deal is on that one?

Dunno @Bing , but it might have been intentional - it’s that way in the sequel, too.

I don’t know how many tv shows I’ve seen where the automobile used has no inside rear view mirror. The mirror has been removed from the button that is bonded to the windshield. I assume that this is done so that there is a batter front shot through the windshield of the occupants. My recommendation is that the studios either use a 1947-52 Studebaker or a 1957-1959 Chrysler product where the rear view mirror is mounted on the dashboard.