Dancing Truck

I have a 1983 Chevy 4X4 Dually. Manual transmission. I was pulling a heavy trailer from OK to SC when suddenly when I put on the brakes the front end of the truck would start “dancing”. The front wheels would actually start wobbling like the bushings were shot and nothing was holding things together. I limped the rest of the way home and everything was fine as long as I didn’t use the brakes. It looks like all three of the motor mounts have torn loose, but I have never had the wobbling before when I have had engine mounts go. Before I put this truck back on the road, is there anything else I should check? I don’t see anything that is obviously bent or broken but it was a rather unnerving experience.

Ball joints and idler arm. Check the tongue weight to see if it was too heavy. You might have been lifting the front end up. You may not have had enough weight on the front of the truck.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was only about an 8000 lb trailer. I have pulled much heavier with this truck. It was still doing the dancing after the trailer was dropped off. Everything in the front end appears tight. My wife witnessed one of these episodes in her rear view mirror and said the front wheels where wobbling back and forth as if they were about to fall off.

“when I put on the brakes the front end of the truck would start “dancing”. The front wheels would actually start wobbling like the bushings were shot and nothing was holding”
If Suspension and steering component are found OK, I would check brake rotors for being warped or cracked. I would also check the steering stabilizer/damper, possibly add one if not equipped.

Sounds like you have the infamous “death wobble”.

Your truck has a D60 front axle, which is a very rugged front end that uses king pins instead of ball joints. You likely have worn out king pin bushings.

These are awesome trucks though, so fix it up and you?ll get many more years of service out of it.

Indeed. Google “death wobble”, you’ll get the run-down on what’s happening.

Thanks to all. I will check this out. I love my truck, but have been scared to drive it since this happened.