Damaged Lower Control Arm

My husband was driving our 2018 Corolla IM on a rainy night. He hit a pot hole hard. The tire was ruined. The rim is okay . The dealer said it has negative camber and the lower control arm will have to be replaced. My question is will it “eat” tires after the repair? Or will it have to go to a body shop for more repairs?

On a 2018, you should have it repaired correctly, using factory parts. If the control arm is damaged, even slightly bent, the alignment will be off. Once replaced (and a professional alignment performed), the alignment should be correct.

2 Likes

Thank you. The dealer will use authentic parts. I was worried that replacing the lower control arm might be enough.

If the dealer is competent, they should be able to handle this.

When they replace the lower control arm, if there are any other damaged parts, I am sure they will be replaced at the same time.
After repaired, as noted above, they should do an alignment.

If the tires are original from 2018, best to replace all four.

We can’t tell you that. After the lower control arm is replaced, the dealer will check to make sure it fixes the suspension problem. If not, additional work may be required. Since this is not a warranty repair, you can go anywhere for additional work. This is not an indictment of the dealer. Being inept is not the usual complaint about dealers, cost is. I’d get the prescribed work done and see if it works. As for tires, you should replace at least the two worst ones. Replacing all the tires after six years as suggested by @Purebred, is reasonable given the age. It is often recommended to replace tires after seven years.

1 Like

I typically run my tires until they are 10 years old, have no more usable tread life, or are constantly losing air, whichever comes first. I am not in the business of replacing perfectly good tires just because they are somewhat old, but still safe to use. And on a 2WD vehicle, I replace them in sets of two when only one or two are bad.

Suggest to rely on experienced mechanic’s advice. Common problem, well-recommended inde-shop ok . Shouldn’t require dealership.

I presume this is a front wheel problem. Remember in high school math class they taught that 3 points define a (mathematical) plane? Likewise a wheel (i.e. circle) defines a plane. Your problem is that your wheel isn’t currently defining the correct plane the rest of the car requires. The control arm is the part that sets one of the three plane-defining points; so if it gets damaged it has to be replaced to obtain the correctly oriented plane for the wheel. As long as the control-arm replacement job is done correctly, and that the other two plane-defining points remain correct, you should be good to go.

Thank you. I will be getting 4 new Michelins,even though the car only has 17,500 miles on it. I hate the tires that came on it.

1 Like

I replaced 7 year old tires with plenty of tread left on an '03 Corolla once and discovered I actually had power steering. It sure didn’t feel like it did before. :grinning:

1 Like

Negative camber means the top of the tire leans in when on level ground and the tires pointed in. Most cars today have a little negative camber but you would hardly notice it, you would need a carpenters level and it would be less than a half bubble off plumb.

If you can see this without aids and it is very different from the other side, then you have an issue. If you can’t see this with the unaided eye, then I’d suggest a second opinion.

The camber could be a little off, but it might be within range to be adjusted or adjusted with a “camber kit” installed.

If the alignment is correct (or corrected) and there are no damaged parts that allow the tire to wobble or bounce, then it wil not eat tires.