Damage to a car?

I managed to hit my car into a pole in the ice on Friday. It’s a seat Leon. There’s not much bodywork damage but the wheel is pointing another way and is pushed back. The car had to be recovered. I’m just wondering how much this is going to cost as I don’t want to go through insurance. TIA.

This is basically a US based forum . But it does not matter because damage like this can’t be assessed over the web. A shop will have to look at it and then during repair more damage might be found.

Not using your insurance sounds like a poor move.

2 Likes

This indicates some significant damage to the front suspension and possibly to the steering mechanism. It could even mean that there has been damage to the unibody structure that constitutes the frame on your car. And, of course, the wheel itself and the tire are suspect. This could be… pricey… to repair.

3 Likes

In the US prolly around $700 but in pound sterling prolly 1000. Depends on how bad the damage actually is and whether it’s just front end parts and strut and alignment or hopefully the strut tower itself is OK. Otherwise, anyone’s guess.

1 Like

$700 with front suspension damage? Not bloody likely!

5 Likes

OK, refund in the mail. 2000 pound sterling then, or a total if the tower is bent.

1 Like

Othèr way around, @bing. Today’s exchange rate is $1000US equals 770£.

1 Like

Take it somewhere and get an estimate. Sheer guess $1000-$2000. Depends on how many parts in the front end destroyed and if tire/rim damaged too.

Yes you are correct. I was driving on the wrong side of the road. Lost too much sleep watching the Superbowl.

The last time (2003) I was in Europe the British pound was about $1.60. 2 or 3 days ago I learned it was about $1.30. I keep hearing beat inflation by buying gold. What is gold really worth? As an excellent non corrosive electrical conductive metal maybe twice that of copper. When I was deployed in the former Yugoslavia as a NATO and other allies stabilization force in 2000 I purchased a stack of 18 examples of Yugoslavian currency for $1 as souvenirs. 3 were 10, 50, and 100 Dinar from the 1970s. The rest were 10 (1992) through 50,000,000 Dinar (1993) all only worth the paper they were printed on! It can happen!!! The cash and gold you stash can be worth next to nothing!

Strange, I was under the impression that most people got some extra sleeping watching that game…

You beat me to that one. I lived in San Gabriel, CA from Jan1974 thru Nov 1976. My buddies and I attended quite a few LA Rams games, a couple UCLA games, and a few Dodgers games. Plus many motorsports and trips to Disneyland, parks, museums, Colorado river, clubs, concerts, parties, major auto shows, and beaches. It was living the dream until 1975 when the Rams following an obvious winning season hosted the Dallas Cowboys for the NFC championship. Final score Cowboys 42 Rams 6! It appeared the Rams accidentally made a touchdown then tried to make up for it by missing the extra point. Did they take a dive? Who knows. Money talks suckers walk. The Cowboys lost super bowl X to the Steelers 21 to 17.

To be perfectly honest, I did fall asleep in the 3rd quarter. Then I turned the news on to see who won and fell asleep before it was announced. So my wife had to tell me the results. Can’t believe companies wasted millions on those silly ads-at least the ones I saw.

Yet another one of these questions, Ugh… No one on this forum can answer your question. It is not possible to do so via the internet…someone needs to assess the damage and answer these questions for you. It is pure folly for us to even attempt to help you with this, its akin to asking us to smell something for you…Sorry.

1 Like