Custom flexible brake hoses?

Has anyone here made their own custom-length flexible brake hose?

I have to ask, why are you asking this?? lol

The only reason I can think of why you would need custom length brake hose, is on a lifted vehicle, like a suspension and or body lift, and most of those come with the new correct length brake hoses… But I am sure lots of places will make them to your spec(s), we have one here in Nashville called Industrial Rubber and Gasket… I have also used mobile company’s that come out to the job site and make new hoses… If you do not have the proper crimper and all the parts to crimp, you could have a connection failure with a sudden lose in hydraulic pressure that could cost you a very bad wreck or worse… Leave it up to the pros with the right and expensive tools and parts for the job…

And to answer your question, no I have not, but I have had many hoses made…

Beginning to think George is related to Yoshi Moshi .

1 Like

You can’t do it. And trying would be inviting death for yourself and/or others.

I have a shop near me that will make custom flex hoses. The tricks are about mating the flexible hose to the hard fittings. That’s not a DIY thing. IDK - look around and ask.

Yes, I have. I used high pressure flexible aircraft teflon lined braided steel lines with AN 4 or AN 3 fittings and adaptors to SAE or ISO flares. There are banjo fittings available for the caliper end and AN 3 for the hard line end. You can 37 degree AN flare double wall brake pipes to mate directly to the AN union and the flexible lines. Brake pressures are in the 1800 psi max range, well under the max working pressure of teflon braided steel lines.

You can also wander around RockAuto to find hoses of many different lenghts and end fittings to find a match to your needs as well.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes, just like that. You can pressure test them on the car before driving it by starting it and standing hard on the brake pedal.

I made a full set of these (5) for my racecar when I totally re-plumbed it. I did not like how the previous owner did them.

1 Like

Careful there I was just chastised for telling Yoshi to stay with the kiddies on ToyotaNation.

If you want to play with things like this for a race track, fine. But sorry. I do not want to share the normal public roads with people in vehicles that have DIY flexible brake hose fittings.

Every airplane in which you fly uses this exact technology. Hoses hand assembled by an A & P technician exactly as the video shows running higher pressures than brake hoses.

I hand assembled the right rear hose on my Mustang because the kit I bought with 4 assembled braided hoses had bad threads on one fitting. So I made my own. No issues.

It’s the A&P technician part that’s important. It wasn’t a statement about the technology so much as it was about the DIY.

I used to make up hydraulic hoses for the B-1 (maintenance stand.) I was happy to stay away from airplanes. I would have faith in home-made brake lines if someone can follow instructions. Just don’t let me do it.