Curious about displacement

Watched an auction last weekend and someone put up for bids a 66 Lincoln convertible w/suicide doors. They had 270k dollars worth of receipts and it hammered for 230k. Plus premium…
To me anyway, this is more money than sense. Restore it to the point (far less than 270) of making it a clean, drive on the road automobile, and enjoy the car instead of keeping it as a museum piece.

1 Like

There will always be people who have a lot more $$$$$ than sense. :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’ve never owned a TV. All the people who piled on telling us how much they enjoy watching these auctions taught me something. I enjoy seeing unusual cars on the street, especially nicely restored ones, serendipitously.

Doesn’t he just pay a forfeit for the expense he caused, the car gets auctioned again? You could take him to court, but that can’t be worth it.

The trend of our economy since the '50s has been to pile money on people far beyond their sense. Individuals have their own space programs. Imagine that in '69.

1 Like

The guy had his bidder’s pass revoked and he had to leave the auction hall, Craig Jackson the Jackson in Barret-Jackson bought the car at the top bid since they couldn’t convince the other bidders to step up. The car sold for $770K which was what the kid’s last bid was. As far as I know the car’s still with the same owner. Looked more like someone waiting for the Jersey Shore casting call than someone prepared to spend up to a million at the auction.

Me to. But I might see 1 or 2 a month. I’ve gone to a car show in Syracuse NY. You name the vehicle - it’s there. Largest car show on the east coast.

Syracuse Nationals

Counting for inflation it’s a lot cheaper now then it was then.

Do you mean different sensibilities than yours? And don’t forget that for some, $100,000 is walking around money. If I win that $500 million lottery tomorrow, I’ll buy a few nice cars at an upcoming auction, and pay good money for them, too. You’ll say I have more money than sense, but $100,000 won’t be nearly the huge amount that it is today.

1 Like

When I say that I am not talking about the average person who has common sense like you or me and probably most of us on this forum as far as what you said about the lottery I heard a few years back that 80 to 90 % { I might be wrong about the numbers } of the people who won a big jackpot within 3 to 7 years was flat broke again and had to start over from the bottom. Also they were the type of people who never had much to start with they quit their jobs and went on a spending spree buying expensive houses cars vacations etc.

1 Like

Could be, and that’s not me. Win $500M, keep about $300M, invest it and live off the earnings. 4% after inflation is $12 million, and I think I could live on that without any problem, and still have growth in my nest egg. Oh, and when I say invest, I mean in in traditional investment vehicles, not speculative investments. I’m sure I could turn $300M into nothing by investing in Bitcoin, commodities, and individual businesses, but I won’t do that.

1 Like

My plan if I was to win the big one ( fat chance ) was not to buy a new car or truck as I never had one and don’t like any of the new ones that I have seen well maybe a classic if I found one I liked nor a new expensive house as I like the one I have now. I would pay off all my bills and put a tidy nest egg in the bank and do the investment thing through my lawyer who is also an investment adviser he does very well with his investments… The next part of my plan is to buy medium size motor home nothing fancy an spend at least one month maybe more in each state to see the country that I could not see while I was driving a truck

1 Like

Off topic but the stories about how winning the HGTV Dream Home ruined a lot of the winners lives are depressing an interesting at the same time.

Yeah, most people forget a minor detail - income tax. You win a $3M dollar dream home you have to pay income taxes on $3M. That’s not doable unless you’re already a gazillionaire.

1 Like

Jackie Gleason once said the worst thing a person could do with money is save it.
But, hey, he was The Great One. :shark:

Off topic but here it is. Husband says what would you do if I won the lottery, she says I would keep half and leave you. He says I won $12, here is $6, keep in touch!

2 Likes

I think we have been off topic since the third reply🤪

2 Likes

And here my conspiracy theory and suspicious mind thought they did that so they wouldn’t have a big block engine smaller than a small block engine (396 vs. 400 vs. 402).

The first Batch of Pontiac GTO’s contained GMC trucvj 366 cubic inch V-8s because the GTO’s 389 was not ready.

From 1965-1969 the 396 actually did displace 396 ci. It was over bored slightly for 1970, which raised the displacement to 402 ci. 1970 also brought the Chevy 400 ci small block. I always figured they raised the displacement of the 396 in 1970 (if not the stated displacement) because they didn’t want a small block to be bigger than a big block. For the math weanies, here are the bore, stroke and displacement numbers for all 3:

396 - bore 4.094, stroke 3.760, displacement 395.97 ci
402 - bore 4.125, stroke 3.760, displacement 401.99 ci
400 - bore 4.125, stroke 3.750, displacement 400.92 ci

I like seeing the older everyday cars on the road. For example, last week, I saw a like-new Hyundai Excel, two Ford Festivas, and a Dodge Shadow in my daily travels. I was really surprised to see a Hyundai Excel on the road and driving, as I have not seen one in years. It was the 2-door hatchback model, in a turquoise-green color, and the paint looked like it was just washed and waxed.

1 Like

Regularly see a Nissan Stanza wagovan and a 1980’s Tercel 4wd Wagon around town, a couple 83-86 era Toyota Camry’s as well. Co-worker has a Corolla FX16 as a daily driver.

1 Like