Cunifer lines - does your automobile have it?

I was reading about cunifer lines (for brake fluid or fuel). there are no posts here about it. I’d like to hear about it - is it on your car? what year? What do you think about it? etc.

note: I did not spell it “kunifer”, yet, that is a common misspelling. it is Cu (copper) Ni (nickel) Fe (iron)… I don’t know what the R is for… I assume Fe means iron though… or maybe Fer means “its fer brake and fuel lines”.

I’ve known about cunifer brake lines for a long time. I never had the opportunity to use them and if I had the lines on a vehicle that I owned…I didn’t know it was there. I would imagine the expense would keep most people from using the product. I think the “fer” is for iron ferrite.

@missleman “I think the “fer” is for iron ferrite”

well done - interesting - Wikipedia says “Ferrite, also known as α-ferrite (α-Fe) or alpha iron, is a materials science term for pure iron”

Fe is the abreviation for ferrum, the Latin word for iron.

I have no idea what alloy is used in typical brake lines. Including mine. I guess I’ve learned something today.

Is it a brand name…or was it at one time? (Xerox, Kleenex, Band-aid, for example.)

If so, it is customary to take certain “liberties” with abbreviation to create a combination of letters that resemble an English word. Nabisco from NAtional BIScuit COrporation; Alcoa from ALuminum COrporation of America.

“Cunifer” looks much like an English word; “Cunife,” not so much (French, maybe.)

Is this considered an alloy of steel or copper? (Is it “stainless steel” or really tough brass?)

No, it is a multilayered laminated tube, with each metal forming a separate layer. I think the thought process was to create a tougher fluid line that has the maximum protective and strength properties of each of the layered metals. I’ve seen them offered as performance upgrades for classic and sports cars. I have not heard of them being used in production models as OEM.

I have stainless on my keepers but the rest either have OEMifer or Autozone-ifer lines. I don’t see any reason for special alloys or exotic construction. They tend to last the life of the car if minimally cared for now, why do anything different?

In Europe, almost only copper is used in brake- and fuellines when the original rusts out (normally after around 6 years). We either cut a proper lenght from a roll of tube and flare it or we buy a complete set for the car. A complete readymade set cost from 65 to - at most - 150 usd. When a complete set is fitted, forget about rustet lines, they last forever.

Busted, that’s interesting information. I assumed they were alloys.
In your opinion, did it solve a problem that actually existed, or is it an upgrade for the sake of an upgrade? Not that there’s anything wrong with an upgrade for its own sake.

Rust is not an issue where I live, save for boat trailers that are in and out of salt water all the time. In over 25 years as a mechanic I can count on one hand the number of rusted out brake lines I’ve had to replace. I’ve seen and repaired more brake and fuel lines because of damage than rust. But for shops and people in the rust belt where snow and salt are a fact of life rotten brake lines often mean a big repair bill.

One thing I wonder about is the need to replace the lines with anything other than the original or standard quality parts. Why use stainless, “cunifer” or anything else? Are the brake lines the only thing rusting on the car? How long did it take the brake lines to rust? Will the car last twice that long? Will you end up with perfect condition stainless brake lines in a car with a rusted out frame, chassis, and body?

Without any data to back me, it seems to me that a line made up of concentrically layered copper, nickel, and iron would be more prone to corrosion than stainless. Granted, nickel creates an extremely tough surface, and copper’s best advertisement is its performance protecting our Statue of Liberty from the extreme environment in NY harbor, but why would it be better than stainless? Or is this sort of a gimmick?

This whole cunifer brake line idea is new to me, and I’m curious.

I came across them while researching for my '62 T-Bird restoration project. Where I live, brake and fuel line corrosion is no concern. My 25 yo Supra has it’s original brake and fuel hardlines and no corrosion.

I don’t know the reasoning behind it other than what I wrote. I did not look into them further because I saw no need. However, I do know they can be flaired to a standard 45°, where stainless steel should not be, according to my research.

Interesting. Perhaps that’s the reason.
I guess I just have an enquiring mind.

You have a good point, even though brake and fuel lines rust out here in 8-10 years, I have never had to replace the same line twice.