Cuban chrome

JT, the Russian aircraft that were the aggressors were from Russia… the civilian aircraft being harassed were from the NATO countries. Pilots are required to report and do report any acts of aggression in the air.

Now I understand. Thanks for the explanation, Mountainbike.

No problem. I’m not always as articulate as I think I am.

I want to go on record here. If shipping that starter motor needed to fix Hemmingway’s Chrysler, if shipping it from Miami to Havana directly is going to shackle the entire Cuban population, I say it is better to ship the rebuilt starter to London first, then from London to Havana … lol …

You articulate - you bend in several places.

Per Merriam Webster

Full Definition of ARTICULATE
a : divided into syllables or words meaningfully arranged : intelligible
b : able to speak
c : expressing oneself readily, clearly, or effectively ; also : expressed readily, clearly, or effectively

a : consisting of segments united by joints : jointed
b : distinctly marked off
— ar·tic·u·late·ly adverb
— ar·tic·u·late·ness noun

See articulate defined for English-language learners 
See articulate defined for kids 

I cant get to excited over a lot of things now,the root cause of so much unhappiness in the world,is the" haves" not wishing to share with the “have nots” Most all of the land around here(what the govt hasnt seized)has been bought up by the “haves”,who can get a very reduced tax rate,by placing it in a "conservation easement"the poor people around here have very little oppurtunity.BTW,the govt.pays no taxes(the poor people get no tax break,that I’m aware of)

TSM - As the cold war ended and the old Soviet Union dissolved, Cuba was cast off to the side by Russia like an unwanted ex-girlfriend. Whatever has happened politically since then has not changed the fact that Cuba was economically abandoned by Russia when times got tough. I don’t think Cuba will be “Rushin” back to them. In fact, I predict that normalization of US relations with Cuba will bring them closer to us and distance them from Russia even more. Remember the saying “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer”.

One more thing. Asking Marco Rubio to offer opinions on Cuba’s government is a little bit like asking Edward Snowden for opinions on U.S. government. All I’m saying is that it would be hard to get an objective opinion from Rubio, not that he is 100% wrong.

Given any choice at all, who wants to be close to Russia?

Bloody, your description of past history between Cuba and Russia is spot-on. However I believe that they’ll welcome the opportunity to restore their relations with Russia and will use the newfound revenue to do so. This is still, after all, the Castro regime. Nothing has changed since before 1961.

I hope I’m wrong. I believe Russia would still see a huge benefit in having Russian technology based in Cuba. I believe that without the embargo they’ll move toward putting it there. Putin has a lengthy history with the old Kremlin.

It seems to me that Putin is interested in restoring the old soviet order and glory and it seems like the Russian people support him (although who can tell what the Russian people actually think?). He’s putting a lot of money into missiles and armaments and has much disdain for our current leadership. I just hope the guy in charge of watching that side of our back is awake and not on coffee break.

See 2a, Mountainbike. Just having a little innocent fun. I hope you don’t mind.

No problem, jt. I missed the double entendre.
Problem is, I don’t articulate physically a well as I think either. If it weren’t for the steroids and the painkillers I wouldn’t be able to get out of bed… {:-/

Yeah, I know you’ve mentioned your back problems before. I’m glad that the drugs give you some mobility. Having mobility problems of a different kind last year gave me a greater appreciation for how good I feel now.

so…, has no one else been watching the Cuban chrome show? I like it. the main story line has been a families struggle to meet the car clubs strict standards with their car. a car club approval would allow them to serve as taxis for touristas and greatly increase their income…

I also like to watch it. You have to admire their persistence and ingenuity in keeping their old cars running.

I have great admiration for the Cubans and their ability to keep those relics going decade after decade.

However, the gearhead in me can’t get past the embarassing fake drama with bad acting and Cuban Chrome is not the only TV auto show guilty of this. They’re all guilty of it.

My wife loves the “Counting Cars” show and that one really makes me cringe so she usually watches it by herself.

Isn’t The Discovery Channel PAYING those people to be on TV? I suppose it would have to be under the table… They should be some of the richest families on the island.

Ricardo’s MGA plainly was not a '62 as they said. There are several differences between a '61 and a '62, and even more between a '62 and a pre-1960 car like his obviously is. I’ll bet you didn’t even notice.

And then there is the high drama of having to have the cars done within a week or they miss the car club’s deadline and can’t have their cars allowed for use as taxis for tourists. And then the time fluctuated from one week to two in the same episode. So why does a club have anything to do with it?

I must admit that the “beat to fit” technology used to shape a lot of body parts they use is amazing. No English wheels there.

I once owned a 1956 Mercedes 300c that was bought new in Spain by a Cuban family who toured parts of Europe and brought it to Cuba as a used car to save duty. I had the original bill of sale. In 1959 they escaped Cuba with the car. I bought it in 1970 for $400. The walnut and red leather interior was gorgeous, but the silver paint was dismal. I drove it as a second car for two years. (Having an extra car is the only way to have an MGA as your first.) It’s one of the many cars I wish I’d kept. I never met the Cubans, but did know the two owners prior to me pretty well. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1777&bih=861&q=1956+mercedes+300c&oq=1956+mercedes+300c&gs_l=img.12..0i24l2.2065.9582.0.12066.18.14.0.4.4.0.118.1485.0j14.14.0…0…1ac.1.64.img…0.18.1497.hjO7KSLXuEU#imgrc=-KnQPhS904nuoM%3A

I am amazed at how many Cubans, young and old, seem to speak English fairly well. Also their Spanish is a little different from the Mexican Spanish I’m used to hearing. Thank God for subtitles.

Escaping with the car? That must have been a feat. I have visions of a raft of empty drums and the car sitting on top while they paddle the 90 miles to freedom.