CRV Maintenace Intervals

I have a 2007 Honda CRV. The owners manual does not mention maintenance intervals. Rather, the engine computer is suppose to indicate the work that is needed. The oil is being changed every 5000 miles no matter what the computer says. My question is how often should transmission fluid, coolant, sparkplugs, and brake fluid be changed? My 2000 Accord had all of those changed every 2 years which is at about 30,000 - 35,000 miles. There are 133,000 trouble free miles on the Accord. I also want trouble free miles with the CRV. Thanks!

I find it hard to believe that this vehicle did not come with a maintenance guide as well as the owner’s manual.

Edit: I looked on their website to see of you could download the maintenance guide, but it looks like you have to sign up first. Here is the link: https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/HondaMaintenance.asp

Changing the fluids and plugs as mentioned in the Accord is probably a little too often. Most posters would say 40,000-50,000 and very 3 years would be OK.

Your CRV obviously needs all these things as well, and your owner’s amnual will tell you whether you should wait for the computer to tell you or do it at an actual mileage interval. You are one these RARE individuals who actually OVER-MAINTAINED your car.

If there is no reference to these of either the computer telling you or actual mileage/date (which is doubtful for a Honda), I would go with a generally accepted interval of:

1. Coolant every 40,000 miles or 4 years
  2. Spark plugs; if iridium, every 60,000 miles
  3. Brake fluid; with every brake job, or 4 years.
  4. Automatic transmission fluids every 50,000 miles for your type of driving

If this was an American car, the coolant change would be 100,000 miles, no brake fluid change, and spark plugs every 100,000 miles, and no transmission fluid changes for “normal” driving. Most poster, including myself, would disagree with this, but that is how US manufacturers sell “low maintenance” cars!! The second owner of these cars suffers the consequences of this under-mainteance by factory recommendation.

I would start with re-reading your owners manual, visit the dealer’s service department to find out what they recommend (you don’t have to believe them), and take it from there. In any caes you are in no danger of UNDER-MAINTAING your vehicle!

Good luck!

One thing you should worry about is valve lash clearance. This should be inspected and adjusteded every 30k miles as necessary.
This not only applies to the CRV but any other Honda that uses mechanical valve adjusters. This also applies to other makes of cars that use the same.

Honda not only makes an idiotic recommendation of doing this at 105k miles (way too long) but follows it up with a recommendation is that is utterly asinine and that is to have them “audibly” inspected. There is not a service tech on the face of the Earth who can determine valve lash by listening to them.

Valve lash that is too loose can damage the cam lobes, adjusters, and valve stems over time. Valve lash that is too tight can burn valves, especially the exhaust.

If you don’t believe me, do a net search on this issue or talk with a competent tech.