Cruise Control, It engages fine, but the engine speed keeps increasing

I have a 1999 Honda Civic, 5 speeds,

The issue has to do when I use the Cruise Control, It engages fine, but the engine speed keeps increasing even after the dash cruise control light goes off and I let off the gas, step on the break and/or turn the main cruise control switch off. Stepping on the break will not slow the car down. If you put the car in neutral, the engine just whines and keeps up its high rev.

The engine speed kept increasing even after stepping on the break and turning the cruise control main switch off, the only way to stop the car was to put it in neutral and turn the engine off via the key switch. For safety reasons I disconnected the cruise control until now.

I want the car to be driven by other members of my family (my kids) without the possibility of any one getting hurt. Also, I would like to be able to use the cruise control while driving long distances, for this reason I made up my mind to fix this problem.

I got the Honda Civic factory manual and checked the entire cruise control system.

Everything checked OK, switches, etc. Since I have another Honda Civic of the same model, I replaced the cruise control unit, the Cruise control actuator, The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) the vacuum tank, The Vacuum hoses and the Check Valve, the same result.

I raised the front of the car and verified that the actuator cable moves freely when the cruise control is set and it does.

Questions:

Is this a known issue?

What is the cause of the problem?

How to fix it?

Gracias

Cruise controls have a built-in “Acceleration” feature that lets you increase speed while in cruise control…hold it down until you’re up to your desired speed, release it and the car holds at that speed.

I wonder if this is somehow being constantly triggered, maybe by a defective switch or some wiring.

Like Budd says, I also think that the Accel switch is sticking. See if you can free it by tapping, prying. If your situation can be improved in this manner, replace the switch.

I agree with the accelerator button diagnosis. That happened on a Nissan I owned. Replaced the switch, problem solved.

This is a stranfe situation. Your vehicle being a 5 speed has a cruise disengage switch on the clutch pedal and the brake pedal along with the master shut of switch. When you push in the clutch pedal, brake pedal, or turn of the master switch the vent valve bleeds of the vacuumm and the cruise quits working. I would say the chances that the clutch switch, brake switch and master switch being faulty are remote. This leaves a faulty vaccuum bleed solenoid, the cruise cable sticking in the housing, or the throttle linkage binding.
Another observation I will note is checking the operation of the cruise while the vehicle is jacked up in the front will give false results. You need to road test the vehicle to see if it is functioning properly.
~Michael

Michael,
I just want to thank you bec? you pointed me to the right path. The problem has to do with a release vacuum hose that was plugged. This is a hose line that connects to the solenoid actuator relay and connects to some where on the front of the body of the car, I just disconnected it and the cruise control works.

Thanks a lot.