Crown Vic Help

I’ve been trying to research my problem but cannot find anyone else thatvhas had this problem, so far. My ac fan was atomatically going to high and it was back and forth, I would turn it back down and eventually it would go back up. Over time, it became worse and couldn’t get it off of high. I started turning it off but it would instantly come back on and the front panel area became so hot I couldn’t touch it. I became afraid ot would start a fire. I immediately took it to have it ‘disarmed’. We removed two fuses under the hood. It will still kick on, (not air or fan, just power,) if I touch a control so I try not to. If I accidently touch it, it will start getting hot to the touch and I have to turn off my car and restart it to get it to stay off. I’m trying to figure out what it is. I was told the contacts on the back of the panel get worn and it needs to be replaced. Should I check wiring or anything before I buy the climate control panel? Also, the big square fuse, (relay?) that was removed had been very hot. So were the others around it. You could see when it was removed that the tips were close to burned. Blue and black hue on the tip. I can do without ac for now but I desperatly need ventilation and also defrost when it rains. Any advice on this is very appreciated.

Well the Crown Vic has been around since the 80’s, but mainly 1992-2011/12 (also 1955/56)

What year is yours??

Do you have auto climate control HVAC or mechanical HVAC?? sounds like auto…
I am also assuming your ac fan is the blower motor for the air flow inside the cabin…

I would unplug the HVAC head unit and plug everything else back up to see if anything is still getting hot… Could be a short somewhere… I have replaced a lot of the head units on those older Fords…

But you probably need to find an automotive electrical shop to diag the issue, they Will find the issue when no one else can… Google auto electrical service…
AES Services is the go to in my area…

1 Like

I have an 07. Thanks for the advice. My car doesn’t run hot at all but it sure gets melting hot on the control panel. I will look for an electrical automotive shop as you suggested. I live in a rural mountain town but we do have a Ford dealership that does automotive repairs. They may be my only option. Thanks so much for your advice! I appreciate it!
Lisa

1 Like

Yes, mine is automatic climate control.

1 Like

Has fuse f101 (40A) been removed? Located from what I see in battery junction box area. That fuse supplies power to the blower motor relay. It’s possible that relay’s contacts are shorting out.

Suggest to consult someone knowledgeable about your car’s hvac system design before removing components (including this fuse) b/c there may be unintended consequences. Best of luck.

1 Like

Now I’m scared. Ok, I will get it checked asap. Yes, that most likely is the fuse. It stopped the fan motor and climate control readings.
I’m researching now what and where the hvac head unit is and where to plug the fuse and relay that was removed.

It is the thing that you push to control the AC/Heat temps etc and the speed of the blower motor, below the radio…

Screenshot 2024-07-25 172440

Since you are unsure of the locations, then probably best to not plug anything back up, just let the shop of choice handle everything…

1 Like

This sounds like a flood victim vehicle . Frankly I would just bail and find something else because I doubt if there will be an end to problems .

Thank you so much for all of the info! I made an appt today for next week and they’ll run electrical diagnostics. I’m going to let him, my mechanic, do all the plugging in and what ever the readings show. I agree it is probably wiring shorting out somewhere or a module because the relays were hot before the ac relay and fuse was removed. Hopefully diag will lead him to the sorce of the problem. Again, I appreciate so much your knowledge and for your effort to educate me. :blush: Many thanks and blessings to you!

1 Like

Thanks for your input but my car is actually a very strong, reliable ride. I originally thought I was having worn connections on the fan wheel but didn’t have enough knowledge to realize this could be a different issue. My fault. I hope you have a great day!

1 Like