Help

I have asked every mechanic and been to every shop looking for an answer to the following problem but in vain!

When I bought this used van, A/C was working. Some time later (more or less a year later), I have noticed that the fan switch stopped working except on the highest setting [the fan will not work when it is set on 1,2,3, or 4, but it works on 5.] I had no choice but to set the fan on 5 if I wanted to have cool air. It was bothersome, but I put up with it. After several months of using the fan on 5, the cool air stopped all together. Even when the fan is set on 5, only warm air is coming out. I took the van to several mechanics, but I kept getting different opionions like compressor is bad, there must be a leak somewhere, freon level too low, blower motor resistor not working, needed a/c blower motor, etc… In short, one mechanice told me that there is no leak, another mechanic put a new blower motor resistor, a third mechanic changed a/c fuse… but none worked so far, and the problem still exists. Right now, if I put a new a/c fuse, good, cool air will come out for just a few minutes, then the fuse blows out. I change a fuse then I turn the a/c on,and the fuse blows up again… I have spent alot of time and money on this problem and still do not know what to do to fix it. I have no faith in the dealership that’s why I did not try that route.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Does the blower fan now work correctly? The heater and defroster OK?

If it’s just the A/C fuse that is the problem, it sounds like the compressor CLUTCH is drawing too much current, blowing the fuse. Anybody who calls himself a mechanic should be able to check this and repair it…

I have not looked at a wiring schematic for this particular vehicle but many times other parts of the system are tied into the A/C compressor clutch.
The condenser fan for one, maybe the blower motor, etc.

If the blower motor is failing that could be the reason for the resistor failure; which means that if it continues the new resistor will burn out.

Someone should be using an ammeter to check current draw on the condenser fan, blower motor, etc.

Caddyman & ok4450 have more or less told you what you need to know - mostly what you need is to actually find a competent mechanic who is willing to work with you.

I just thought that I would fully clarify for you - the heating/cooling fan that you turn on for the A/C is independent of the A/C system itself. The fan just spins and blows air around - it isn’t involved in making the air any cooler (or warmer). The operation of the A/C is different. So “fan only blows on 5” and “A/C fuse keeps blowing” are two unrelated things.

You very likely just need a new resistor to get the fan speeds back. The A/C problem needs to be diagnosed as noted by ok4450

I agree. You can replace the blower motor resitor yourself, and it will cost about $25. If you want to replace the blower motor, too, that will set you back about $75, unless you buy a GM unit. I bought both parts for my Regal at a local auto parts store, and neither were GM parts. Get under the passenger side dash board with a flashlight and look at the blower motor (you have to remove the kick panel under the glove box first). The blower motor resistor is between the blower motor and the firewall. The wires from the blower motor lead directly to the blower motor resistor. If you are willing to tackle the job, we can talk you through it. It’s easy, but you need the right tools. Fortunately, the right tools are not expensive (< $25).