Crappy 2004 Alero Radio Doesn't Turn Off When Iginition Off & Door Opened

NO! You almost certainly have 2 unrelated issues. First, the door open switch for the driver’s door is not working. Could be a broken switch or a broken wire, but neither of those will affect the radio reception. The second problem is losing reception when turning on the rear defroster. Likely the antenna for the radio is in the rear window, maybe even using the same wires as the defroster. That problem may be a bad filter or something. Without a schematic, it will be hard to find.

Roadrunner, you are good! I pulled the door panel off yesterday and found that the wires had been broken and were very short. I lengthened the wires and reattached and low and behold, the car now knows when the driver’s door is open and the radio turns off and the dome light comes on! Not too bad for a girl, huh? Just kidding. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I learned a lot. This will be the first place I come for a resolution to whatever happens next with this car, and I’m sure something will happen. :o)

The switch in the door probably controls the radio and the dome light, check it out.

Geeez! My cap got tight all of a sudden!

Anyway, glad to have been of some help, but if you hadn’t dove in and took things apart, it still wouldn’t be fixed.

So, congrats to you too.

Curious though, did you physically see the switch we all searched for when you found the broken wires?

Yeah, I’m interested. Tell me more about the car and where it is.