Crankshaft pulley won't come off!

I’m currently trying to replace the crankshaft seal on a chevy s-10 1996 but the crankshaft pulley won’t come off! I got the pulley wheel off but the part that spins it won’t come off. I’ve tried using a harmonic bolt puller but it doesn’t seem to be removing it. Any ideas?

You have the big center bolt out, right? Now you’re trying to use a harmonic balancer removal puller and the balancer won’t break free?

If yes to above, this is the job I first discovered B’laster PB. Stuck balancer on 454 BBC. Broke tools on it. Friend came by and said try this. Sprayed it down and drank a beer. Spritz again and it came off with hand ratchet alone. Been using that stuff ever since. Deep Creep works as well.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s whats happening! Ima have to buy me a a can of that!

The beer break is critical part of process :grin: the penetrant needs time to get between the parts. Spray lightly at first and watch it crawl into the joint. After I did mine and got it off, the entire end snout of the crank was wet.

2 Likes

Torch on hub. You are changing seal. So what’s the issue?

Even overnight in some hard cases when you are tired and about to make a mistake. Best practice calls for beer intake to NOT be proportional to wait time.

1 Like

You want to also replace the balancer? Most have rubber coupling…