Cracked bumper cover on 1999 Buick Century

There is a crack in my rear bumper about three to four inches long. The lights all work and it appears to just be a crack in the bumper cover. I just need the car to last until August, do I have to repair it? Will it get worse?

No and No.

4 Likes

It depends how wide the crack is, and its position relative to the edge of the bumper cover. Best to get a pro assessment if you aren’t sure. You don’t want a section of it falling off when you go over a bump and damaging the car behind you, or causing an accident.

There is a repair technique known as plastic fusion that permanently fix plastic parts like bumper covers dashboards etc. Its like welding but on plastics.
http://www.soudureplastiquequebec.com/en/

I wouldn’t bother unless it really bugs you or gets worse or there’s some business reason. You might be able to apply some tape of a similar color to close up the hole; that would reduce the likelihood of stuff getting in there (mud and the like) and the crack growing. In a past car I used black electrical tape on a busted black side mirror for years. I just had to replace the tape every year or two.

Gorilla Tape.

4 Likes