Coupe ID? Familiar?

This was in MN. Owner must like jensens.

It could have come from the UK. The car is old enough to avoid the safety requirements that would prevent more modern cars from importation.

Agree with all you said. In more modern times, GM engines are simpler than Ford engines. GM was (is) still doing cam in block and pushrods where Ford is OHC on most of their V8ā€™s. Much easier to do a cam swap and power mods on GM. Mopar is cool, but seems to always be more expensive. So most people just building a car for power on a budget will just go GM.

If youā€™re digging that far into a vehicle that youā€™re replacing the engine, then the choices you make are completely yours. We know there are GM people and there are Mopar people and there are Ford people, and as far as Iā€™m concerned Iā€™m not concerned. Itā€™s up to them. Thatā€™s one of the privileges of doing your own work.

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to put Jaguar XKE 6 into an early Mustang. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

What I would have given to have that in my '65, instead of the 170 cid ā€˜beastā€™. Of course, that would have gotten 16 year old me in LOTS of troubleā€¦

2 Likes

Mustangman/Texases
Do either of you remember the build done by, I think, Popular Hot Rodding of a Pontiac OHC 6? They did a lot of mods and, again as I remember, three Webberā€™s on a custom built intake manifold. Came up with torque &HP numbers that were similar to the Jag six at a lower coat. Of course my memory is a little foggy after 50+ years since reading the article.

I did see a rebuilt Jensen with a hemi, 5spd auto, irs, suspension, with $160k in receipts for sale. $89k. Not sure what value down the road might be. You have to want it, I guess.

The rule of thumb Iā€™ve seen is expect to get back about half the money you put into a restoration. This falls in line with that.

Asking prices for Interceptors go up to $159,000 at Hemmings classifieds. The one you mention is shown there as well. I suspect that the price is much lower because it is a restomod. If it had been restored to new condition with the original engine, it could be worth over $100,000. Imagine that a fuel injected hemi may have reduced the value of the car.

I did see a 73 with an Edelbrock fuel injection system on a 440 in California. It looked solid. For $20 k

On a similar note, one of the car magazines (Car & Driver? Motor Trend?) built their own little hot rod sports car from the ground-up, by fabricating their own frame and then dropping a Slant Sixā€“with every available performance modificationā€“into it. The claimed performance was amazing. Iā€™m pretty sure that they utilized existing front suspension components in addition to the Slant Six, but the chassis, rear suspension, and body design were original with them.

Does anyone else remember this from the mid-late '60s?

No, I would have been ALL over that article! That was a cool engine.

My thought about a Jag 6 in a Mustang was; What if Ford bought Jaguar in the 60s when Lyons was retiring and looking for a buyer instead of waiting until the 90s. Would have given the Blue Oval a decent high performance 6 alongside their V8.