Could CV boot repair cause mount problems?

I took my car in for a routine oil change and tire rotation. The mechanics told me that my CV boots were cracked and needed repair. I had it done then in addition to the rotation/oil change.

When I was driving home, I noticed that car shaking a little, but I thought it was just adjusting to the rotation. When I drove it this am, it was worse, so I took it back. I had not noticed ANY shaking prior to this.

The mechanics looked at and said that all 4 of my engine mounts and my transmission mount need to be replaced.

Is this just a coincidence? Is there anything they could have done during the CV boot repair to have cause the problems with the mounts?

thanks in advance!

Make, model, year, miles? Who did the repair, dealer, franchise or independent mechanic? If nothing else, get a second opinion from an independent mechanic.

Ed B.

coincidence is my vote.

If the mounts are broken it could cause shake. Also, have seen remanufactured cv joints caues vibrations.

If the inner CV joint is not reassembled with the tripod refitted in the original slots a great deal of vibration can be caused when accellerating.

Thanks everyone! It’s a 2005 Volkswagen Passat wagon V6 with 100K miles. The repair was done at a franchise.

Did they show you the CV boot cracks? If so did you see any grease and grime on or around the boot?

Yes, I could see the cracks and the grease was all around the cracks.

It was for many years in the best interest of my customers to replace CV axles when a boot was leaking. The total cost to replace the boots approached and sometimes surpassed the cost to install quality rebuilt axles. I guess that would still be the case.

"The mechanics told me that my CV boots were cracked and needed repair. I had it done then in addition to the rotation/oil change."
What, exactly, did the “repair” consist of?

As Rod mentioned, usually if the boots are shot it’s customary to replace the half-shaft, and that includes the entire axel assembly from the splined end that goes into the transaxle right to the hub, inclusive of both CV joints (inner and outer). “Repairing” a CV joint on the vehicle just isn’t practical. They’re not designed for this to be done. And they’re also not designed to accommodate being pulled apart replace the boots.

Can you read from your copy of the shop order exactly what was done?
What franchise was it?

We had split cv boots on a car we traded in, the mechanic said it is pretty much the same price to replace the boots as relace the axle when it fails. they suggested letting it go until the bearings went. 2 years no problem, and traded it in and kissed the problem goodbye. Second opinion in order.

Another option is “split boots”. I’ve never used them, but as long as the problem is caught before the CV joints become worn/noisy, I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t work. The don’t require disassembly of the joints.

I’ve always just replaced the entire half axle.
The extra time to cut off the old boot, take the axle apart, and install the new boot…costs the person more than if I replace the whole thing.

The price of the half axles for my wife’s Freestar are about $75 apiece.
A replacement boot kit is about $22 and I’d charge $30 extra to change out the boot. This doesn’t include pulling the axle…just the labor disassembling the shaft and changing the boot out. At this rate she would be only saving $18 …if only one boot on that axle has to be replaced.

And that doesn’t include that I charger her double, because she is so mean to me!!!

not much savings when you add it up.

Yosemite