Corolla Tapping Noise with acceleration

My son’s 2000 Corolla was making a loud tapping noise with acceleration and was losing power. He pulled over and shut it off. The car wouldn’t start after that. Thoughts?

He checked the oil and it looked OK but that was after he had driven it (warm engine)

My only thoughts are that you need to have the car towed to a competent mechanic’s shop for diagnosis. The combination of that loud tapping noise, loss of power, and subsequent inability to restart the engine is probably ominous, but only somebody who can examine the engine directly can give you a proper diagnosis.

While you didn’t mention it, I think that there is a strong possibility that the low oil pressure warning light was lit up, prior to the loud noises. Does your son have any recollection about that? If that light was on, the possibilities are…not good.

For the sake of your wallet, do NOT have it towed to a chain operation like Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, or AAMCO. And, there is no reason to take a 13 year old car to a dealership. Instead, have it towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and possible repair.