Corolla design flaw?

I got a Corolla 2016, brand new, and immediately got squeaky noises over small bumps at low speed. A year later I changed it to a 2017, hoping that I was going to get rid of the squeaky problems…nope! Same thing with the 2017, although it took a bit longer to start. Now almost 3 years later the issues persist, the problems seems to be a design flaw or something.

Very well could be a design flaw, did the dealer make any attempt to isolate the noise and fix it?

1 Like

I have a 2015 Corolla that squeaks when the suspension flexes. Once or twice a year I crawl under with a can of spray lubricant and hit 2 spots in the front (one each side) and 4 in the back (2 each side) Squeaking goes away for months. If you have a little bit of car/mechanical knowledge it is obvious where to spray. It is not a design flaw it is suspension parts that need to move while at the same time being exposed to water, dirt, salt etc.

4 Likes

How is that not a design flaw?

Ariwonderland has had two Toyotas that squeak over bumps and you’ve got that.

The sound is annoying enough that Ariwonderland has voiced a query/complaint and you feel the need to crawl under your vehicle to temporarily eliminate it.

I’ve owned lots of vehicles, none Toyotas, and none have squeaked while in motion.

Please explain how this is not a design flaw. This makes for an interesting discussion/debate.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Perhaps it’s not a design flaw, but a design compromise ($$ vs. performance). For example, I wouldn’t think it’s a design flaw that the Corolla can not do 180 mph around a race track.

1 Like

The first 2 times I took it to the dealer for service I ask them to check on that explaining what was going on. Apparently they did check and saw nothing wrong. But the squeakiness has always been there :frowning:

If you are unable to get under the car yourself, simply take it to an independent mechanic who can put it on a lift, and lubricate all of the suspension bushings. I used to have to do this a couple of times per year with my '86 Taurus.

3 Likes

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion. But to be honest I have very little mechanic knowledge, don’t get me wrong, I’m interested! But I decided to get a brand new car so I didn’t have to worry for “issues” for a while, at least the first 2 years, and this has been happening since the first 6 months. I’ve been tried other Toyotas, new ones, and they don’t have that problem. In fact, you can feel the difference in the way it absorbs the shock on a low speed bump. But definitely next time I take it for service I will tell them to do what you suggested

1 Like

I own a 1999 and 2012 Corolla and neither of them squeek.

1 Like

You’re right! I don’t believe it’s supposed to happen, especially since so early after buying a new car. And this problem was in both 2016 and 2017, actually what convinced me to change cars within a year was the squeaky issue, thinking that I had just gotten a “bad batch” and in hope that I wouldn’t have the same problem with the 2017 :woman_shrugging: I’ve also tried other cars, including other Toyotas, older models even, and I have actively checked for that sound when taking a low-speed bump and no squeakiness. So I definitely think is a design flow, or how they mentioned in another reply, maybe cutting corners to compensate in other areas… Either way, I’m kind of disappointed on that, because the noise is annoying and not something you expect for a new car. Other than that, my Corolla is very reliable

Thanks! I will absolutely tell them that next time I take it for service

The permanent solution for a similar problem on Mazdas was to remove the control arm bolts and blow baby powder into the bushing. Talcum seemed to be a permanent solution while penetrating oil was only temporary.

2 Likes

Installing replacement sway bar bushings into my old Pathfinder, the bushings set came with some very thick and sticky silicone grease and an instruction to apply it to prevent any squeaking noise.

It was not what I used to do before, but I applied a dab into every contact zone and 2.5 year later it is still silent. It was blowing my mind off when it would squeak driving over one hump and not another. the bushings I replaced were in OK/new shape, looks like prior owner tried to get the squeaks under control before

I suppose there are compromises that engineers make in deciding what material to use for flexible bushings in suspensions. Balance stability over time, decent wear characteristics, price, easy assembly, etc. Noise is a consideration, but hardly number 1. Everything is a trade off, and they wanted something else and accepted a bit of squeakiness. I can’t say I’ve read a lot of complaints from Toyota owners about this, so perhaps they were right that most buyers would not be bothered.

You are annoyed by this squeak, and chances are there’s not an easy fix. I suggest you either shop carefully for another car, get used to this one or turn up the music.

I just can not grasp the thinking that you don’t like the noise of a vehicle and then buy the same model only a year newer . The amount of money lost would have paid for a good front end shop to solve this squeak .

1 Like

Live in the Rust Belt? Wondering if road salt is causing sway bushings to get dry and creak. That can be a common problem even on non-Rust Belt cars.

1 Like

It’s not a design flaw, it’s an undocumented feature. :wink:

3 Likes

My 21 year old Corolla started squeeking after its 20th birthday and I live in Canada where snow and road salt is a way of life. I removed the bushings,clean the rust on the sway bar and reinstalled them.Only 10 minutes of work and I had a quiet car. He should ask the dealer to put better bushings next time.