Coolant system problem!

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I had the water pump and drivebelt replaced about 3 months ago. The problem now is the coolant is backing up in the reservoir and is overheating my car. What is the problem? I think it is the thermostat or radiator cap. What do you think?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably have a blown head gasket. 3.8s are famous for them. Coolant doesn’t “back up” into the reservoir causing overheating. It backs up because the pressure is too high. It’s ALREADY overheated.

I would install a new thermostat and radiator cap and hope for the best. Considering the age of the car, these items should have been replaced when the water pump was installed.

Those engines used to blow head gaskets a lot. There’s no reason that the radiator can’t be done either. These cars aren’t too hard to replace. Go for it.

Before we get to the worst case scenario of a head gasket failure let’s back up alittle.

First of all it could be as simple as a defective radiator cap. Next I would make sure the radiator fans are working, if they don’t then that could be causing the overheating. If the fans are not working you need to fix that ASAP or you could be looking at more damage including head gasket failure.

If fact are you sure it’s overheating? What’s the temp gauge reading when this happens?