Most likely cause of the overheating is the impeller on the water pump is mostly rusted away (not getting enough water flow), so you should do the following
1) flush out the cooling system, heater core, engine block, radiator all seperatly.
2) Check to make sure radiator fins are not cloged between the A/C condenser.
3) Replace water pump ( back flush the engine block with the pump removed) Remove pump before starting #1
4) replace TStat with a 180F
5) there should be a bypass hose that bypasses the heater core make sure its not removed.
6) If your lucky the antifreeze smell was from the pressure cap on the resevore tank releasing pressure, and you were getting the smell thru the intake vents. If your not lucky you will need a new heater core.
Good luck on this one