Convertible top issues

My '76 Cadillac Eldorado convertible is a real gem. Bought it two years ago with less than 500 miles. Original owner bought it new and put it away. 34 years later, he’s selling and I’m first in line buying. I’ve had a blast of the past two years making it roadworthy after sitting un-touched for so many years. Today, it looks like it’s right out of the showroom. Now for my problem, two weeks ago, after working flawlessly without any reconditioning on my part over the past two year since I bought her, the convertible top all of a sudden doesn’t want to go up. It drops down nice and easily. When it’s time to go back up, it starts to move up about two feet and then stops…like it ran out of gas. Possible causes? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

check connections.

Have you cleaned and lubricated all the joints? Just make sure you use whatever GM recommends for this.

Back hidden in the trunk is a hydraulic pump driven by a starter motor that provides the power for the top…The cylinders are in the rear-seat side arm-rests. Sounds like your top system has sprung a leak (usually a hose connecting the pump to the cylinders) and has lost enough fluid (ATF) so the top no longer works. Look for the puddle of oil and you will have found your problem…Start in the trunk and find the pump then follow the hoses…

Thank you, Texases. I had the convertible to my favorite mechanic and he lubricated all the joints (there are over 20 of them) and the top goes up and down like new. Even better, he didn’t even charge me. Class act all the way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good to hear. Probably first time they were lubed in decades, I bet most cars are junked before the top mechanisms are lubricated.