Consumer right - proof of part replaced

Hi,

I just had my clutch kit (plate+disc+ 2 bearings) replaced on my 1995 Toyota Corolla. While the mechanic said he put a new OEM clutch, when I asked him if I could have a some proof of purchase, say a part number from Toyota or some such he said I am being distrustful, intrusive and eventually became really abusive using foul language and a couple of people from shop surrounded me. He said he would call the cops to get me removed from shop. Now I am all the more suspicious.

He also said he is not required to give any further proof than write in the invoice New OEM and a 1 year warranty. I said I may move out and wont be able to come back to you for any warranty and so want proof of purchase of new Clutch with part number. I tried to read the customer rights manual but it is not clear if I have the right to ask for a proof of the part he purchased.

How can I be assured that it he did not put a non-OEM new part or a used OEM? Do I have the right to ask for an invoice on the part with its number?

Thanks

Deepak

Well regardless, good luck with any warranty work with this shop. Rights are one thing but tact and human relations is also important. Try and be a little more tactful with the next shop and they might be more reasonable.

At any rate I doubt they would have put a Toyota part in unless you specified you wanted a Toyota part. What they put in is a part that meets original equipment manufaturer specifications. On your receipt should be any part listed plus the labor cost etc. Depending on the shop and their computer software or non-software, the detail will vary. You do not have a right to view their invoices or any of their business records. This is private information unless you are with the IRS. I doubt whether having the part number would really make any difference to any other shop if you had trouble with it within a year. Unless you went to a Toyota dealer in the first place, they aren’t really going to put a new clutch in under warrenty. Just IMHO. A customer getting thrown out of a shop usually means some issues from both sides.

Your copy of the shop order signed and with the details of what was done are all the evidence you need.

Shops won’t typically provide a copy of their parts order, becaue, quite frankly, that contract is between them and their supplier and doesn’t involve you. How much they paid for the parts and what supplier they bought them from is none of your business unless you specified up-front the parts purchase requirements, as long as they stand behind their work.

In the future, let me suggest that you ask to have the used parts returned to you. In some states that’s statutorily required, in some it isn’t, but it’s always a good idea anyway.

By the way, non-OEM parts of this type are usually as good as or better than the original parts.

[i] Shops won't typically provide a copy of their parts order, becaue, quite frankly, that contract is between them and their supplier and doesn't involve you. How much they paid for the parts and what supplier they bought them from is none of your business unless you specified up-front the parts purchase requirements, as long as they stand behind their work. [/i]

True. If you want something not specified in your local state’s law or and not addressed by a written contract between you and the mechanic, that is about it.

[i] Do I have the right to ask for an invoice on the part with its number? [/i]  Only if it is required by law or by written agreement agreed on by both parties. 

Note:  Parts sold with the car manufacturer's name on them, may not have been manufactured by the same manufacturer or specifications as the one that came with the car.  Car manufacturers generally buy a large part of the car from sub contractors. 

[i] MHO. A customer getting thrown out of a shop usually means some issues from both sides.[/i]   I totally agree.