Constant clicking and brake grinding

04 expedition makes constant clicking noise and you can feel intermittent grinding in the brakes. Tire wobbles side to side as well as up and down. The wheel spins hard and has slop in it. Cv joint doesn’t appear to have much slop in it. Any help would be appreciated as I’m not much of a mechanic. Unfortunately I’m broke.

That sounds like a front wheel bearing failing.

And if it is, drive very slowly to the nearest shop to have this fixed.

Because if the bearing fails, the first thing that will come out of your mouth will be, “Look! Someone lost a tire!”

Tester

3 Likes

Thanks. According to my internet searches it sounded like a wheel bearing but the clicking kept coming up as cv joint so I was wondering if it were both or what. The clicking is constant though. I appreciate your help

There is no reason it couldn’t be both and you could need brakes as well. Since you are not much of a mechanic and are broke, the only thing I can tell you is don’t drive this until a mechanic has looked at it. You would not be the first person to have to borrow money for car repairs.

CV joint clicking usually only happens during turns. If you are hearing clicking going straight ahead, the CV joint wouldn’t be the first suspect. The tire wobbling problem is what you need to address first in any event. That could be a faulty wheel bearning, but it could be something more simple, like the wheel isn’t bolted to the hub securely, maybe some lug nuts have worked themselves loose. I had that problem on my Corolla and the wheel wobbled and it made weird noises too. Tightening the lug nuts fixed it.

1 Like

Yeah sure check the easy stuff. I did my first wheel bearings in summer school in the trailer park drive. Just follow directions. The new ones you don’t even have to grease not like on the '59 Pontiac.

Now just sayin’ that in a couple of my factory service manuals, they devote a couple pages to sound definitions to make sure everyone is on the same page. A chuggle means one thing and a click may mean another. We may not be speaking the same language so your click may be our groan or knock. And the two could be completely different. It might take a mechanic five minutes to figure out what it is though.