Considering Toyota Corolla Hybrid or similar

I’m looking for a new (or used) car, focusing on reliability and fuel-efficiency, and trying to keep the price tag under $27k.

I’ve been gravitating towards the Toyota Corolla Hybrid, but I’m still open to other options, so I’m curious for opinions/recommendations.

Software reliability is another thing on my mind. I’m not interested in infotainment features, and would generally prefer fewer tech features, to deal with fewer bugs and updates.

Good choice, but you may have trouble finding a new one under 27,000. I’d try and stretch my budget to get one. I’m a Toyota hybrid fan.

2 Likes

I am not one of those that thinks you should buy a used Hybrid . If you can find one new it will have full warranty ans lower finanance rates.

As for being wary of software stuff , what do you think controls the switch between gas and battery in a hybrid.

@ivanivan Here in Northeast Oklahoma I found 4 new Corolla Hybrids for less than 30000.00.

I have no idea if they have dealer addons or what but use your search engine for your area and you find what you want new.

Maybe a dealer has a recent off lease Corolla hybrid you could test drive. You might also consider a Prius. My sister has a Prius plug in hybrid and is very happy with it. A new Prius has a starting MSRP of $27,450. If you can’t find one on the dealer’s lot for under $28,000, order one.

1 Like

Toyota dealers around here are adding markup to the new cars, especially high demand ones like the new redesigned Prius.

That is true, but it’s not necessarily a universal truth. The new car that I wanted was being priced with a $5k to $15k dealer markup in NJ, but by simply driving 70 miles to a dealership in PA, I was able to get the exact model that I wanted, without any additional markup.

Simply casting one’s net a bit wider could possibly score a win for the OP.

3 Likes

True, but the more there are, the better the deal might be. There are 2 new Pruises listed within 100 miles of me, 7 new Corolla hybrids. Both are in tight supply.

While all of that is undoubtedly true, one never knows what the outcome might be until he casts his net wider. The model in which I was interested was in such short supply that the NJ dealers were predicting a minimum 6-9 month wait for delivery.* And yet, the dealer in PA that I visited mentioned that he had 3 of that model in transit–unexpectedly. Approximately 3 weeks later, I drove home in my new ride.

So, I lucked-out in terms of both price and availability. I know that I was unusually lucky in this regard, and I still wonder how I got so lucky as to have all of the stars aligned in my favor.

*The delivery backlog for this model is still so long that the importer in Australia has stopped taking orders.

fewer tech features. and you want a hybrid?

3 Likes

Toyota corolla hybrid is probably the best bet for the money. If you can find one.

We have a Mazda 3 hatchback that’s been a fantastic car. It’s not a hybrid, but it still gets in the mid-to upper 30s on fuel economy. I’ve seen quite a few listed for under $20K.

you can get a good used Camry for $27000 . Just bought daughter a certified 2019 Camry with 16000 miles for $23400 .