2017 Toyota Corolla - Buyer's remorse

Are there any major issues we are not aware of? Just bought a used one today. Needed a dependable vehicle for hubby to get to work.

A little late for that question is it not ? Just do the recommended service and hope for the best . Of course my dumb question is if you are worried about problems why did you not buy new in your price range with a full warranty and free road side service ?
As for problems you might not have the same ones other people do or you might not even have any.

1 Like

Some engine and transmission problems. https://m.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Corolla/2017/ Theyā€™re generally pretty reliable though.

1 Like

Water under the bridge now, but a lot depends upon how the previous owner(s) treated it and that is something that is near impossible to determine.

1 Like

why did you not buy new in your price range with a full warranty and free road side service ?

Yet another eye-rolling postā€¦geez man, lay off. Their price range is likely no more than $13k-15k: https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla/2017/appraisal-value/

Exactly which new car would you like them to buy? A lot of people simply canā€™t afford to buy a brand-new car. Or, better, Iā€™m guessing that alternate-reality post looks something like this:

GenasisOrtz: ā€œJust bought a 2020 Corolla, anyone know anything about reliabilityā€

VOLVO_V70: ā€œIf you had done your research, you would find that a late model used Corolla is super reliable, and you wouldnā€™t have wasted your money on buying a new car. But itā€™s too late for you nowā€

Itā€™s like you canā€™t help but be condescending, is it?

8 Likes

The best thing, at this point, would be to take the car to a certified mechanic for a top-to-bottom inspection. The Corolla is a generally reliable car, but you never know what kind of weird situation yours might have been in with a previous owner.

As others have said [some not no politely]: one tip for the future would be to have the car inspected before purchase.

2 Likes

Itā€™s on Consumer Reportsā€™ Best Used Cars list, year after year.

1 Like

Tell usā€¦
Without naming names or giving specifics, where did you buy the vehicleā€¦ Toyota Dealer, Other car brand dealer, used car sales lot, private individual, rental car agency or other ā€¦?

You asked and Iā€™m not trying to worry you, but a concern I have when buying used cars is whether or not the car has been involved in any collisions and has had repair work done or whether or not itā€™s been in a flood.

Severe previous damage usually shows up on the title as ā€œSalvaged Vehicle.ā€ Not always, but sometimes, damaged/repaired/flooded vehicles are never quite right and can cause problems forever.

I know how to look cars over for these issues, but not everybody does and should have help from a professional in the form of an inspection.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

When we play euchre with friends, our rule is: " a card laid is a card played".
You bought the car. Toyota has a good reputation. Your Corolla will.probably work out well. Drive on and donā€™t worry.

4 Likes

Yes we know that @Volvo v70 can be condescending bold and rude. But I come to this site primarily to learn about automotive. I have learned at least 1 or 2 things from him. So if when he gets rude I just take what I get and move on, just like any mature adult would do. Besides when he does get confronted on his rudeness, it can be pretty entertaining.(at least until it gets shut down):grinning:

2 Likes

@GenasisOrtz. If it is any consolation, I get buyerā€™s remorse after every major purchase. I keep thinking ā€˜Maybe I could have squeezed another year out of the old oneā€™. The purchase can be anything from a lawn mower to a car. In my case, the new purchase always works out well.
Let us know in a couple of months how your 2017 Corolla works out. My guess is that you will be happy with your purchase.

2 Likes

How about telling us your concerns . . .

The car is ugly?

The seat is uncomfortable?

You feel you overpaid?

Keep an eye on the motor oil level. Check the oil level in about a 1000 miles. If itā€™s still good then hooray.
If itā€™s down a quart then uh-oh.

At this point I would say hold off on the buyerā€™s remorse. I mess around with antique Harleys a bit. Iā€™ve bought old parts in the past and agonized over whether I paid too much or not. After some months that feeling goes away.

Years ago I found a 50 year old NOS Harley taillamp still in the original box with all of the mounting hardware for 450 bucks. I went to Amarillo, TX to get it and once home I could not bring myself to take it out of the box and mount it on the bike as that boxed piece of history would be gone forever. Took me 9 years to finally pull the trigger on itā€¦ :grimacing:

1 Like