Considering a new SUV

I don’t know what your price limits are, but the cheapest model from a premium import brand is the Acura RDX, a very nice vehicle with a six standard. It’s bigger than most compact, but is still smaller than a mid-size. It’s lowest priced version is more expensive than the non-premium models, but when comparably equipped it looks competitive. It’s possible to build a Highlander that’s more expensive than a very nice RDX. Honda doesn’t have as many options as more is standard.

@MarkM I’ve seen them around and had ruled it out because I did expect it to be more expensive than the Toyota. My first impression is it might not be large enough and it does lack things like rear cross traffic and blind spot monitoring. It is slightly narrower that the Hyundai, KIA and Highlander but not by much. I’d have to get it with the technology package (the only option) which puts it on par with the loaded versions of the Santa Fe and Sorento but cheaper than the Highlander. I’ll have to take this one under consideration. Thanks!

Update. Going with the 2016 KIA Sorento SX. Waiting for them to get an AWD in, which should be next week. Drove very nice, the new interior was extremely nice. KIA is going with softer materials inside and it just felt nicer than the Hyundai Santa Fe. Getting a panoramic sunroof which got very good reviews from my gf, who sat in the back seat. I got a nice long test drive from the salesman and it does drive smaller than it really is but it has plenty of room for luggage with the 3rd row seats down (which they will be for the majority of time. I think my first road trip in it will be to the Grand Canyon.

Even after all this typing of our opinions and tech specs…it still boils down to one thing…
YOU and the test drives.
This I know first hand.
Years ago, 1992, I knew what my next vehicle should do for me so I drove all the competitors of similar types…each one seeming to check all the boxes.
Nissan Pathfindrer
Toyota four runner
Chevy/GM s10/a15 Blazer/Jimmy
Ford Explorer
After all that it was easy for me to pick the Ford Explorer from the bunch.

I had a 1988 S-10 Blazer with the 2.8L engine. I’m pretty easy on vehicles and always maintain it per the manufacturer’s specs. The engine died after 82K and I needed a new one. Was told at the time this wasn’t uncommon for the 2.8L. That was the last Chevy I ever bought. My parents still have a 1998 Explorer. Not a ton of miles on it as it isn’t their primary vehicle (Mom has a Lexus 430, dad has a diesel Dodge Ram) but it is still running well. I had to borrow it for a trip to Utah last year when the cat in my Jeep failed on the day of departure. It drove and ran just fine though I never would be comfortable with the amount of body lean in it. I think the new Explorers are wide and not as tall so they probably have mitigated some of that.

I’m doing the actual purchase through Consumer Reports True Value pricing which simplified things. The salesman for the KIA was very low key, didn’t pressure me at all and even suggested I look around. He also wasn’t quite up to speed on the 2016 model and admitted so, saying they haven’t had their seminar on the 2016 which they will have on February 12. He invited me to attend that. Another salesman for another brand really put me off and bad mouthed pretty much every other car on my list, even the Toyota Highlander. I really hate that.

Sounds like a nice Sorento. We have a Hyundai and are completely happy with the quality. The Korean twins are doing a nice job. The Grand Canyon is a great first trip. Lots of wide open highway to enjoy in that part of the country. If you haven’t been to that general area before, be sure to take a few days to see the southern Utah parks, as they aren’t too terribly far. Bryce Canyon and Zion are absolutely breathtaking.

Den60…you have just hit a HUGE caveat to choosing which vehicle to buy.
WHERE to buy is almost more important !
The people there when buying now…and when servicing later…for all the years to come have EVERYTHING to do with the puchase decision.

Even the fact that buying locally is hugely important to your local economy, find a place where you feel like a valued person, customer, neighbor, business trade, all of it together.

Ken, we kept all that in mind when we bought our Hyundai. The people at the dealership were very pleasant and easy to deal with and it was conveniently close to home. Six months later they were out of business. Hard to plan around that.